Ibanez JEM Forum banner

201 - 211 of 211 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
learningtolive said:
Interesting that people are unhappy with the price - the one on ebay is £1650 whereas a new 7V would cost you around £1699 at the cheapest here in merry England. Of course, that price doesn't really have a bearing on the final RRP because it is on ebay, but you would think the seller would try and catch this hype and list it for higher to make a tidy profit. Maybe they don't realise what a buzz this guitar is making in forums like this...
Remember some of us are talking about 3000 USD. So, 1650 GBP = 3193.90 USD.
And, I would guess the price already includes a profit! :lol:
Josh

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Rich said:
I had thought it was replacing the DBK, but it's not. And you're still far short of the mark ;)
I realize that the list will be higher, but the JEM7VWH is listed at nearly $2500 and I saw one stickered at $1499 with case this weekend.

·
Vendor
26,322 Posts
jem7vwh said:
Rich said:
I had thought it was replacing the DBK, but it's not. And you're still far short of the mark ;)
I realize that the list will be higher, but the JEM7VWH is listed at nearly $2500 and I saw one stickered at $1499 with case this weekend.
The VWH w/case lists at $2829.98 ;)

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Rich said:
The VWH w/case lists at $2829.98 ;)
Great, but it was still stickered at $1499 at the Guitar Center on I-45 in Houston on Saturday. That means what you already know, that list price doesn't mean a whole lot anyway.

So if the VWH w/case lists at $2829.98 (a ridiculous sum of money, regardless of how much I love that guitar), then why should I not expect to see similar pricing tactics on the chrome one?

The VWH example sets the "street" price, before haggling, at just over half of the list price. If I were to guess a list price of $3000 on the new one, that same principle would put it the "street" price between $1500 and $1600 with no case. Still way too much, but not the princely sum of $3g

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
Reality check... that guitar is being sold at or below dealer cost. I'd double-check if it's not a 2002 closeout or something w/ lopro? Noone can stay in business selling guitars like that.

Either way the mirror jem will cost more than the VSBL as stated above and barring a close-out deal will be closer to $2k with case/tax if not more... glen

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
jemsite said:
Reality check... that guitar is being sold at or below dealer cost. I'd double-check if it's not a 2002 closeout or something w/ lopro? Noone can stay in business selling guitars like that.

Either way the mirror jem will cost more than the VSBL as stated above and barring a close-out deal will be closer to $2k with case/tax if not more... glen
FWIW, I did play the guitar. It was an 04 (based on the serial number). And it had the new bridge. It was guitar center, so maybe they have better prices from Ibanez than your average mom and pop store?

I bought my VWH for $1299 from them a few years back. Ibanez has arbitrarily inflated the list price over the years for the same guitar (minus the ebony lately), but I don't imagine Guitar Center would routinely sell their high end models below cost. This price wasn't a haggled price, this was a stickered regular price. They weren't even having one of their advertised "sales".

But it's sad that the mirrored jem will be priced so highly. :( I was considering one when I thought they'd be priced reasonably in the dbk range.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Ibanez Innovation = no new pickups, no tweaks, stock neck pull, special finish, price increase. Do I see a pattern here?

Oh wait, someone tell me the fret board is Pau Ferro :lol:

Sorry Ibanez, I love the JEM and VAI, but I'll pass on this one.

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
That price is even unrealistic if you were to go by the old LIST prior to the increase this summer ($2400 + $170 = $2570-ish LIST). Granted GC has a bit of buying power, but even in '99 that was unrealistic pricing in the USA (unless the store didn't mind getting no revenue on the sale)... glen

·
Vendor
26,322 Posts
GC has run most of the mom and pops out of business so they could charge more, not less. Maybe you should visit the "laughs at a recent trip to guitar center" thread for for examples of the lunacy that exists in many stores ;)

·
Registered
520 Posts
Maybe the powers that be for that GC decided it was time for it to go. My store does the same thing with items that have been in stock too long. I would never sell anything below cost though. With that noted, GC can probably stand to sell a few items below cost just to move them, considering the company grossed over 1 billion dollars last year!! 8O
Josh

201 - 211 of 211 Posts