Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about buying a used, but near-mint '05 JS 1200. The only thing that's making me hesitate is that I've heard that Ibanez has continued to refine the JS 1200 over the years. So maybe I'd be better off getting a current production 1200 instead.

Does anyone know what the differences between an '05 1200 and a current 1200 are?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
407 Posts
The current ones have the original Edge tremolo, which IMHO is the best trem ever made. I saw his interview with Larry Dimarzio on YouTube where he says they have continued to tweak the neck over the years, but anything after 98 (I think) should feel VERY similar

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The current ones have the original Edge tremolo, which IMHO is the best trem ever made. I saw his interview with Larry Dimarzio on YouTube where he says they have continued to tweak the neck over the years, but anything after 98 (I think) should feel VERY similar
Thanks. So, it pretty much boils down to the trem differences.... I'm not an expert on that kind of stuff by any means, so I don't know if I'd even notice the difference.

Does the original Edge trem stay in tune better? Or is it something else that makes it the best in your opinion?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Well, the Edge has locking studs which greatly improve tuning stability. An 05 would have the Edge Pro, which does NOT have the locking studs, BUT this can be changed easily and cheap. Edge pro has a lower profile, and a stiffer feel to it. You might love it! Many people do. I like the original's feel better, but that's just one guy's opinion.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, the Edge has locking studs which greatly improve tuning stability. An 05 would have the Edge Pro, which does NOT have the locking studs, BUT this can be changed easily and cheap. Edge pro has a lower profile, and a stiffer feel to it. You might love it! Many people do. I like the original's feel better, but that's just one guy's opinion.
Where are the locking studs located? I'm looking at another used JS (from 2011), and my guess is that it has the Edge trem, but I'd like to make sure.

Thanks for letting me know it's possible to put in an Edge in place of the Edge Pro. I wasn't sure if the trem cavity was different, etc. I could experiment and see which I prefer.

Jeff

·
Registered
230 Posts
the edge pro rout wont fit an Original Edge in it, a very minor modification to the front corners of the rout needs to be made in order to retrofit the trem

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the edge pro rout wont fit an Original Edge in it, a very minor modification to the front corners of the rout needs to be made in order to retrofit the trem
Okay, thanks for the clarification.

I still don't know what to do, though. Buy old and save some bucks, or buy new? Tough decision.

·
Premium Member
1,328 Posts
As I always do I will plug the Edge Pro trem which for me personally is superior to the original edge. That is not the consensus on this forum so I'm just stating this is how I feel about it. I have many with Edges, just one with Edge Pro. They are both great, but I think I prefer Edge Pro

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I agree OC, I much prefer the lower profile of the edge pro. The flutter on the edge is nice but I like the stiffer feel of the EP. The locking stud mod is worth it and not too hard to do so if the deal is good on that 1200, don't let the trem hold you back. Both offer great stability and are fine trems.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The neck profiles of the '05 and current production guitars should be nearly the same, if not identical? I read on Rich's page that there was a 2 mm difference in the size of the heel width between these older guitars and the models since 2010. I can't imagine I'd notice the difference.

Have the pickups changed since '05? Or, putting it differently, do the '05s also have Joes and Freds?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts