Ibanez JEM Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
I spell it without the "u"... That's how we do it at McGill U anyways... But yeah yeah, i know it's not gonna count cause i am French Canadian. Well i counter that with F off and stop trying to assimilate us LOL ;). Jokes!

Oh Canada!

·
Registered
540 Posts
No we say "about" - "aboot" doesn't even make sense. :D
I have heard "aboat" often in Canada and in the northern states in America, and that's perfectly fine. Canada is a great country. I'm a fairly frequent visitor and I've done more than my share of driving along the 401. Have to make sure that I hit a Tim Horton's wherever I find one. ;)

·
Registered
540 Posts
To answer the original question here, I'd say "get what makes you happy." A neighbor of mine found out about a month ago that he has stage 3 cancer. It wasn't caught earlier. And yesterday I heard that a coworker of mine from an old company has been diagnosed with ALS. You know best what you want and what you can afford.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Hey Evo II.

Like yourself, at one time I also wanted a Jem7v like -crazy-. I worked in a pub kitchen for months working up to 12 at night cleaning sinks to afford it.

Well eventually I had enough and I bought one, it arrived and I was ecstatic, I thought it was great. (This was around 2005, you may even be able to find the thread I made on this forum when it arrived).

Anyway, a few months later I decided to buy another cheaper guitar to take to University and back as I was beginning a music degree, I thought I'd get a simple no frills guitar (fixed bridge etc,) and ended up going for an Ibanez RGA121.

The guitar cost £300 second hand, compared to about £1150 for my Jem7v second hand, basically, I found that I MUCH prefered my RGA, the Jem only came out of the case for the next 12 months only because I thought I HAD to play it, I gave it MANY chances to see what it was I prefered about my RGA, in the end it just boiled down to the mojo that the RGA had with me, and that the Jem just didn't feel right.

What I'm trying to say is, it doesn't matter how much you spend on a guitar, or what it looks like! I couldn't give a crap about what colour a guitar is these days, let alone inlays, if it feels right (and you'll know when it does) then that's all that matters.

I'm not saying don't follow your dream and buy the Jem7v, but be wary that it's just a guitar, and just because you see Vai playing one and lots of other poeple going OMG JEM7V BEST GUITAR EVAR LOLZ!1 doesn't mean it'll be right for you.

Follow what everyone else (pretty much) is saying - get down to a guitar store that has nice staff who are willing to HELP, explain you are looking to upgrade to a guitar and you want to find one that feels right for you and play EVERYTHING, take as long as you need, it's your money. If you don't find anything you like after trying a good selection (from many different stores if necessary) then maybe go for the Jem..

It's great to play as many guitars as possible, because then you'll understand your own instrument better and what you may/may not need to get certain sounds in the future, but it's also important to have an idea of what's right for you. How old are you by the way? Regardless of your age, $2000 is a lot of money to anyone, so it's important you think with your HEAD not just your heart.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I see you point Fender but I still wish I could try one out. I've done some research and found some places that had some reviews and a lot of them were positive. Besides, don't you think that if you took a reglar RG (not a Prestige) got someone to cut a handle into it, make the tremelo cavity deeper, add Dimarzio Evolution pickups, paint it white and change the inlay it would probably add up to about $1500?
My Guitar is the EXACT SAME THING as Jem555 without awful "half vine" inlays, and it costed $400. I will add some Evo's later. That still will only cost about $600.

·
Registered
79 Posts
the 555 is a great guitar if you pick a good one. I had one for years, and it was just as good as the Jem BSB I have now. I only got rid of it to fund my Universe, which I couldn't turn down, and I regret selling it really, although it was unavoidable at the time. On the other hand, a mate had a white 555 which was rubbish, so the quality is rather variable. If you find a good one then you've got a great guitar. The only bit I didn't like was the crap plastic block with 'Steve Vai' on it on the 24th fret.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Yeah I'm still contemplating what to get although I probably won't get anything until the new year. By the way, how much would a set of Evolution pickups cost if I got two Hums and a Single?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yeah I'm still contemplating what to get although I probably won't get anything until the new year. By the way, how much would a set of Evolution pickups cost if I got two Hums and a Single?
An Evo Humbucker is about $60-$70.

I would say $200 for the whole set.

·
Registered
54 Posts
the 555 is a great guitar if you pick a good one. I had one for years, and it was just as good as the Jem BSB I have now. I only got rid of it to fund my Universe, which I couldn't turn down, and I regret selling it really, although it was unavoidable at the time. On the other hand, a mate had a white 555 which was rubbish, so the quality is rather variable. If you find a good one then you've got a great guitar. The only bit I didn't like was the crap plastic block with 'Steve Vai' on it on the 24th fret.
But, It Costs $1500, so its a total rip off.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts