Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a RG550DX on the way and I was wondering what is the 5-way switch it has in it..

Is it the cheap toy-clicker type I replaced in my 2013 RG450DX or is it a better one?

I would like to think the Genesis line does not use those irritatingly cheap 5-way switches in the lower-end models.

Does anyone know?

Also: the V7/V8s - workable or not?

·
Super Moderator
7,391 Posts
I’m no expert on the switch types and I’m not overly sure that Ibanez ever paid too much attention to them on the non signature models, I could be very wrong there though and would happily hear from others.

The V7 and V8 pickups I don’t personally like, but they are workable but they’re usually viewed as actually being worse than the V1 and V2 units that came before them. Some people mod the pickups themselves swapping the magnets around which is said to improve things but I tend to just end up swapping pickups if I don’t like them. There are so many on the market these days it’s hard not to find something you’ll like better.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I saw this and was hoping it did not pertain to the 2019 model I have - Especially when the Gotoh VLX53 goes for under 15.00.

I plan to put in some Gravity Storms in it but wanted to see if the V7/V8s were workable.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Curious: I have a 2019 RG550DX Genesis. Why would you want to change the switch?

I have attached the pickup selection diagram for reference. (I guess not. It will not accept accept a 69 kb png file for some reason. :( )

Jeff

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would replace it to put on what is used on the JEM or the other higher-end models. I have replaced so many of those far-east cheap 5-position switches I always do so each time I get a guitar with one myself.

Usually its a Fender 5-way CTL-type.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If it is the same one as what is in the Ibanez standard series, then yes it is inferior to the Fender CTL 5-position switch :)

The cheaper version of the 5-way is mostly plastic and has a toy feel to it. I was thinking the Gotoh VLX53 would be the minimum as I read those were put on Prestige and JEMs in the past.

·
Vendor
26,484 Posts
Odd choice considering the VLX53 is all plastic and known for melting if not soldered properly, while the "junk" GAE5 is all metal except for the circuit board......

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, they did put them on their best of the best :)

I'll take a look at it when I open it up. I really want a OTAX VLX91 - does anyone know where to get one?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Since this was already here I figured I'd add on.

What's the best 3 way switch that'll swap right in? Going to replicate the RGR5220M wiring. While we're at it if anybody knows the part numbers to the 2 way mini toggle that'd be great to. I just don't know how to find those specifically. Can find plenty of 3 ways and plenty of toggles, but would prefer those.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got it and replaced the pickups with a set of Gravity Storms and a new OTAX VLX91 5-way switch. Switch was a breeze to install and is a world of better than stock. Got it setup and plays great!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts