Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I’ve decided to get back into guitar after taking a break to learn drums and play bass in a band and have discovered first just how bad I am and second I don’t own a guitar with a tremolo arm.

I’m looking for a guitar mainly for metal. At first I thought 24 frets and a Floyd rose/Edge would be the way to go with maybe a tremel-no fitted but after looking at thousands of guitars the one I really like aesthetically has a Wilkinson 50IIK 2-point tremolo and 22 frets.

One of the bands I love and will learn is Iron Maiden pre 1990 and I know Dave Murray has a blocked off Floyd on a 21 fret Strat so that’s fine but my other favourite band is King Diamond and Andy Laroque uses a 24 fret fully floating Floyd.

If I do go for the guitar I really like and not get 24 frets or a Floyd Rose will it make learning King Diamond and other songs that utilise them impossible? I know there are tricks, detune, lighter strings for higher bends e.t.c and I think the Wilkinson 50IIK 2-point tremolo floats and can pull back just not to the extent of a Floyd.

So should I just get the one I want looks wise and struggle with songs that require a Floyd or 24 frets or just get one that has the Floyd and 24 frets but isn’t as visually appealing to me?

Basically will I suffer for not getting a Floyd/24 frets.

Thank you all.

·
Administrator
7,525 Posts
My view is that you should always get the one you like the look of best because that's the one you'll be inspired to play the most. Most of the things like playability and tone can be hammered out later, and these days, there are literally so many great guitars to choose from at reasonable prices.

·
Registered
655 Posts
i can only speak from my personal experience...and what metal is has changed from what it was when i was younger lol...personally i can go 21, 22, or 24 but i prefer 24...while i dont use the edge/floyd as much as i did previously, i prefer having them on my guitars for the tuning stability, plus i am accustomed to feeling them under the right edge of my hand...you mentioned blocking the trem and i think something with an evertune bridge would give you the same stability possibly?...in the end, the best piece of advice i can give, is to go to local stores, try everything out, and see which brand and model "speaks" to you (ie:makes you inspired to play) then either get that one or find a similar one online for possibly a little less money...d.m.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Thank you both, I went with a 24 fret Floyd Rose in the end - better to have them and not need them.....

Thanks again.
You've made the right choice! What did you get?

I was going to post the following, then spotted you;ve already made a decision:
I own a guitar with the Wilkinson 50IIK 2-point tremolo (Cort G250 - it was my first guitar) plus a growing collection of Ibanez guitars with various Edge tremolos. The Cort definitely has the worst tuning stability of my 9 guitars...in addition to offering the least functionality as a tremolo.
The Cort and my Ibanez S have 22 frets. The other 7 have 24 frets. Even when I'm not needing any frets above 22, I find access / comfort for the upper end of the neck is better on a 24 fret guitar.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts