Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I am interested in Ibanez super strat models with 24.75 scale.

I know of the sf470 and also the szr.

Any other models that you can point me to?

Appreciate the feedback.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Yeah according to "the net" it was a japan only model. I did see one on eBay or reverb a few months ago. It was near mint and wayyy to expensive. Like around $2k.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Buddy of mine really wants a gibson scale ibanez with an Edge or Lo pro and went spent ages looking, and aside from that bajillion dollar j custom, we were only able to find one model... A surprising one too

·
Registered
708 Posts
Tough -*Ibanez didn't really do a shorter scale other than on guitars like Artists and jazz boxes.

Hamer superstrats from back in the day had 24.75 (can't remember which models, Centaura maybe?); Kramer Nightswan; some Jacksons/Charvels.

Buddy of mine really wants a gibson scale ibanez with an Edge or Lo pro and went spent ages looking, and aside from that bajillion dollar j custom, we were only able to find one model... A surprising one too

PLs are excellent but 25.5.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Tough -*Ibanez didn't really do a shorter scale other than on guitars like Artists and jazz boxes.

Hamer superstrats from back in the day had 24.75 (can't remember which models, Centaura maybe?); Kramer Nightswan; some Jacksons/Charvels.

no, this one is 24.75.

·
Super Moderator
7,396 Posts
Well that looks like a scan of an actual 1980s Japanese Ibanez catalogue. Short of measuring an actual guitar that’s pretty convincing! :)

·
Registered
708 Posts
no, this one is 24.75.
Ok, I was checking the same catalogue while people were posting in the thread in the meantime which affirms, ignore my initial post :p.

I've got the bolt-on model which is 25.5, and I don't remember people who own several commenting on the scale difference, never mind :). I'd measure if I had the particular guitar!

So, to the OP, if you can find a PL2550, they're pretty nice (several forum bros have them, there's bit of a Proline clique going on). The model is neck through (5pc maple/walnut) with alder wings, top mounded Edge, and multiple pu switching. In this spec they were made in 1986 predominantly, with some production continuing in Japan only in 1987. Prices vary - there's a beat-up black one on Reverb at the moment for about $620, though someone seems to have swapped the original trem for a Lo-TRS :confused:. I've seen them in the $500-1000 range.

·
Registered
64 Posts

The Hamer that was 24.75" scale was the original Chaparral; they were also set neck instead of bolt on. They added a 25.5" scale bolt-on version later in the 80s and eventually moved the set-neck version to 25.5" scale as well. Not 100% sure when that happened - the 24.75" scale version probably ended circa 1986.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts