Ibanez JEM Forum banner

25.5" or 27" scale for me?

6K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  iplaydatguitar 
#1 ·
So i used the tension chart to work this out. I basically just tuned my guitar UP from standard half a step to see what the tension on a 27" would feel like and i LOVE it. Suits me perfectly.

Considering getting a new guitar and im thinking a 27" would be nice. But having never had a chance to play one i wanted to ask about fret spacing. Thats my main issue, i play a lot of old thrash metal and like to play rock and stuff too.

How noticeable is the fret spacing going to be? Thanks in advance!

#3 ·
The tension isn't an issue - you can go up or down a gauge of strings to adjust if need be.

The fret spacing on the other hand will feel different. Do you do a lot of wide stretches? You'll definitely feel it in your hand if you do a lot of fast, shreddy legato stuff, particularly in the lower registers of the neck. I actually like longer scales up at the top of the fretboard as it's a little more spacious, but in the lower registers I can deal with it but it's not as comfortable.

Another factor - tone will be quite a bit different. Longer scales give you a crisper, sharper attack all else equal. This is very desirable for low-tuned riffing in the lower registers of the guitar, but is a bit of a tradeoff on the unwound strings. Single-note lines will tend to be a little sharper and brighter, and less round and singing. Think of the difference between a Les Paul and a Strat, even unplugged, soloing on the treble strings, and then think that what you're hearing there is 3/4" of difference, and you're looking at about twice that on a 27" seven string.

If you want to do heavy riffing and JUST heavy riffing, and none of the stretches in any of your riffs are even remotely uncomfortable for you, then there's absolutely no tradeoff here and 27" is probably the way to go. However, as you move from predominantly rhythm to predominantly lead, it begins to become a bit more of a potential sacrifice, and you'll probably want to spend some playtime on one before you commit.

#10 ·
Actually the difference is equivalent to one fret only, as 27 = 25.5 * 1.06, and 1.06 is the twelveth root of 2.

So playing a chord at the fifth fret on a 25.5" scale is exactly the same as playing it on the 6th fret on a 27" scale, in terms of fingerstretch

#8 ·
I see! Amazing playing in that video by the way! I am wantimg a brand new guitar rather than second hand (im very anal about my guitars!) What is on offer in 27"? I know ibanez rgd are 26.5 as are a few jacksoms. I really cannot get into shecter, and i hear the necks on the agile guitars is rather fat!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.