Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get my first Ibby.

Although I think I would really enjoy RGD2620, I don't think I could swing the cash.

That said, I have been looking at the RG2620 and RG2610.
( I can get a used one for a good price )
Are they basically the same guitar with the 2620 having 2 pups instead of one?

Also are there any other recommendations?

I will say I do not like pickguards or middle pickups.
And I'm a heavy trem user.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I only have the RG2610. and have not tried the RG 2620. The RG 2610 is a nice tight machine. mine came with the Edge pro whammy bar. not that ZR resistence whammy system. the neck is thicker than a older wizards profile necks.. the difference is very noticable at the higher frets. thick and feels wider. that was my only nusiance with the guitar. It was like a "boat hull" feel to the neck.

if you ask me?? i'd get a RG3120. 2 humbucker pickup configuration. Get the RG3120s with the neck having the offset dot on the fretboard. those are really nice and shred machines. those necks are so close to the Wizard profiles. whammy bars are very comfortable..

there are several sittin around 450-500 on evil... bay...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have never owned nor played an "Original Wizard" so I doubt the Prestige Wizard profile will be a hindrance to me.....it'll definitely be thinner than anything I've played (I did have a Gunslinger for a while, though).

I see the 3120 have an Edge LoPro. How do these compare to the Edge Pro? ZR?

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
lo-pro is better than the edge pro. its a little more stable, it has a wider range of how far you can pull up, and its much nicer looking but that ones just my opinion. what kind of music are you trying to play? like dont just say rock or metal or something, say the specific genre and give me a band to go with because that will help a LOT in which guitar you pick

·
Registered
339 Posts
i too had a gunslinger. it wider than compared to the gunslinger. its also thicker profile. and especially at the higher frets its thicker. than the gunslinger. THose necks on the RG 2610 are thicker and cumbersome than the Ibanez JPM1 necks.. the Jpm necks are too be similiar to the VIPER profile.

I had a friend who had the bought the neck from a 3550 prestige maybe 2007? It had those "Ghost" sharktooth inlays...he placed it on a custom body.. I played it and it felt exactly like the RG 2610 neck that i had.

Go to a guitar store where the have the RG 3550 prestige guitars and try out those necks?? see if you like em.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies. I would say something inbetween:

Pantera<-->Death<-->Down<-->Devin Townsend<-->Lamb of God<-->Mastodon

And also instrumental type stuff and 80's c0ck rock :lol:

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have both and like them equally.

However the 2620 is a bit more versatile being HH.

If you don't need or use the neck pickup much then the 2610 is the way to go.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I would say something inbetween:

Pantera<-->Death<-->Down<-->Devin Townsend<-->Lamb of God<-->Mastodon

And also instrumental type stuff and 80's c0ck rock :lol:
id say the 2610 is exactly what you need but youd be better off with the 2620 just because you might WANT the neck pickup. and soloing and shredding always sounds better on the neck so id say get the 2620

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
id say the 2610 is exactly what you need but youd be better off with the 2620 just because you might WANT the neck pickup. and soloing and shredding always sounds better on the neck so id say get the 2620
So in regards to the 2610 vs 2620, the necks are exactly the same, with the only difference being the pickups ?(and paint of course)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I recently got a 2620 and have been enjoying it. I put a Fred and PAF-Joe in it since I'm not much on the IBZ/Dimarzio pickups. Wanted a bit warmer vibe from it and they got it perfect for me.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
In regards to playability and bang-for-the-buck, would a 2610/2620 or an old RG550?

There are quite a few for around the same price ($550):

http://tinypic.com/r/2q3y78x/7
550 has a thinner neck and a better trem which help playability but most dont have the AANJ, which definately takes away from the playability side.

and btw, yes, the 2610 and 2620 are the same in quality and playability. unless you pick right above the neck pickup, then the 2610 will be slightly easier. but if you pick in between the 2, same playability.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.