Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a Blackstar HT-5 head, and will be getting an Avatar 1x12 Traditional cab, with semi-open back. I have narrowed my speaker choice to a Hellatone 60L (15 hour aged Vintage 30 with lower voice coil and slightly modified dust cap), WGS Green Beret (supposedly better sounding than chinese-made G12M's), and to a lesser degree, a Hellatone 30 (15 hour aged G12H30).

I've narrowed my choices down to these because the player's tones I've liked the most always seem to be one of these. I definitely like a high gain sound, but I am not sure if the sound would be constituted as "modern". I tend to find a lot of player's hard rock tones these days to be too sharp or cutting, without any smoothness or organic sag. I'm a big fan of Paul Gilbert's tone. It can be a hit or miss, but when he's on, he's on tone-wise. I like his current tone, and his tone with Mr. Big always seems to be on. He is using a G12C now, which is a basically slightly modified Greenback. But I am not sure what he was using in Laney days. Here are some clips of his tone that I like:

I have heard good and bad things about my speakers choices. Vintage 30s are too bright/tight, Greenbacks get fizzy or too flabby with lots of gain/volume, and G12H30s don't have any mids. I only threw in the G12H30s because I heard it's a good mix of the two. Good cleans are also just as important to me.

This cab is going to solely be for practice, if that gives you an idea about volume. I'd really appreciate any input!

·
Registered
816 Posts
I wouldn't put a greenback in a 1x12 semi-open back cab. It would most likely sound very thin due to the low bass and high mids. It really depends on the rest of your setup though. Personally for such a small cab I'd go for a Celestion CL80.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.