·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey im just wondering
i have this RG w/ H-S-H pickups configuration
of course w/ a typical 5-way selector switch

can i change the 5-way into a 3-way?

so that the bridge position will have the bridge humbucker active, the middle position will have the singlecoil active, and the neck position will have the neck humbucker active?

i dont know if the 3-way switches are made different, but i prefer the JPM-style 3-way switch :p

if there is a wiring diagram, that'll be great.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
So you don't want any combination sounds? That's easy. Just get a 3-way pickup selector and hook it up as if it were a 5 way. You'll just be avoiding stops at 2 and 4. To wire a 3-way to produce combination sounds on a 2 pickup guitar requires jumpers to connect the outside positions to the center positions. You don't have to worry about that. Just put one pickup on each position lug and you're done.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I dont understand WHY you would want to do this.

Your making your guitar less versitle. I dont see the point of taking away 2 very useful pickup positions. I can understand not using them, but a 3 way switch moves and functions exactly like a 5 way, except the 5 way has 2 extra spots. If you dont want them, how hard is it to just.. .flip right past positions 2 and 4?

If you REALLY want a 3 way switch, then knock yourself out. Its just crippling your guitar, its taking away the 2 really cool pickup combinations that are unique to the H-S-H setup.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmm ok thanks for the info!
n honestly, i really havent noticed the pos. 2 and 4 sounds like
they're different, but i really dont use them much
n i havent noticed that they're unique to the HSH setup as well
thanks again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts