Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently use a 5150 combo with my Jem and it does sound pretty good at low volumes in the lead channel..however the distortion can get "buzzy" for lack of a better term.,  and the clean channel is pretty lifeless.

I m seriously considering getting the Legacy combo, but,before I do ..has anyone out there a/b ed these two. Will I be unhappy with the saturation of the lead channel in the Legacy  since many seem to feel it lacks gain??....I play Vai type guitar music and I only need enough gain to give my  artificial harmonics that " jump in yer face" quality  and add some sustain to my single line runs.

Anyone have any experience comparing these two.

Thanks
Scott

·
Registered
554 Posts
Scott, I had a 5150 and I know what you mean. I think you'll be happier with a Legacy and maybe an overdrive pedal to push it a bit. I mean, if you want Vai's sound how can you go wrong with his amp? lol :)

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
I'd look for a more diverse all-tube combo amp myself :)

Once you purge yourself of the nightmare of the 5150 you might as well play the field a little. Look beyond the Legacy but maybe keep it as an option if all else fails :biggrin: ...glen

·
Registered
922 Posts
Maybe Gregory will chime in here. He has both a 5150 combo and a Legacy combo. He nver plays the 5150 anymore. His Legacy rig has very sweet tone. He has some gadgets patched in.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Toneseeker:
I completely understand where u r coming from.  I did everything to try to clear up the 5150 combo "electric saw" sound.  I changed tubes out and found that eurotubes worked the best.  They cleaned up the sound a bit. The sine on the 5150 is very peaky ^^^^^^^^^^^^.  The sine line on the Legacy is very round.  The Carvin is not as brittle as the 5150.  I also put Eurotubes in the Carvin and they worked out very nice.  If u r looking for a nice round, warm and sustain sounding amp I would recommend the Legacy.  The Carvin does have enough gain for me, but then again I really don't use that much gain.  It is usually set at 7.5.  I would recommend using a BBE sonic Maximizer with the Legacy.  The BBE really wakes up the amp.  FYI - The clean channel on the Legacy sound very nice.
Out,
Gregory

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks gregory

I did put eurotubes in my amp already ...it did clean up the buzz a little.  As far as the BBE , I used one with my 5150....I found it to be a big trade off....lost too much gain with it on..besides...I dont want my tube amp's tone affected by another solid state effect.  Anyway .thanks for the advice on the Legacy.

Scott

1 - 6 of 6 Posts