Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 5piece UV prestige neck which feels rough , let me try to explain :

1) the smooth finish is still on the back of the headstock but has totally gone on the back of the fingerboard, from the nut up to the body.

2) i can feel the 2 pieces of wenge sitting between the 3 pieces of maple, as in, the 2 wenge inserts sit just a tad lower than the rest , over the entire length of the neck.

At first i was thinking the previous owner sanded all the finish completely off the back of the neck , but then i figured i could not encounter problem 2 ...

Is this a common issue ? What can I do ? I dont like the feel of the neck as it is now :sad2:.

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
It appears that the back of the neck was sanded up to the nut. This was a great mod for the one-piece necks. You're saying however both pieces of the wenge are sunk so you can actually feel two slight cavities the whole length of the neck from heel to nut? If so the wenge pieces have shrunk (an annoyance of not-well-dried multi-piece woods). The obvious fix is to sand the back of the neck so it's smooth/level then at least apply a slight protectant such as Endust, Ballistol, linseed, tung on the wood periodically.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes the 2 wenge strips are sunk like they have shrunk ...
Will try sanding and oiling it up.
What grit should i use ? Afraid of doing more wrong than good to be honest.

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
Can you post a decent close-up photo? Interested to see if it's easily visible or just palpable.

You're going to want to finish the job with 0000 steel wool or equivalent... so don't start too course. To prevent over sanding start with 320 (fine-ish) if you're not making headway start a little courser (220). Then then it's level you smooth down 400/500 then 800 then 0000. You'll probably want to use a sanding block or rounded support as the key is not to sand (deepen) the shrunk channels. You might want to practice on a wood block or banister.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its more palpable than visible. You can see it if you study it closely. Tried capturing it on camera but unfortunately that doesnt really work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.