Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I'm in love with my PAF Pro's and being a Dimarzio nut I would like to install something similar in a 7 string I will be getting soon. I've searched the Dimarzio site and they only have the standard PAF 7 string pups, not PAF Pro. Can anyone advise as to which Dimarzio closely matches the PAF Pro for 7 strings?

Many thanks

~J

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you bend the high strings do they break up and sing like a PAF pro?

For reference, EMG's do not break up and sing IMO.

·
Premium Member
3,422 Posts
i have an Evo7 in the bridge and a PAF 7 in the neck of my UV.

I like the combination. I can record some if you want. Let me know what you want to hear.
~K

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right on man! No need to record anything special for me but if you have something pre existing I would love to hear it!

Thanks

~J

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have had the EVO7 in the bridge and the AN7 in the neck for the last like 5 7 stringers I have owned. Once or twice I have had the blaze neck in there.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
I like the 6 stringer PAF Pros, and I really like the 7 string PAFs, and I don't think they get muddy on the low end. A little lower as far as output goes, but I think they sound crystal clear.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think d activators 7 are better cause you don't have any muddy low strings.You should try them,I love them.
I'll second that. Got the bridge model in my 7620 and it has been outstanding. Good enough, in fact, that I decided to re-record the 7-string tracks on the new album I'm working on once it was installed. Really cleaned things up a lot. Great response on all strings.

·
Premium Member
3,422 Posts
Here's the PAF 7

http://www.invisibleband.com/kennydoe-PAF7-demo.mp3

disclaimer: This was written and recorded in about 20 minutes before i had to head out to a gig. The playing sucks. I know it sounds like Stevie Wonder ate "The Animal". The strings are over a year old, but not played that much. I hardly ever play 7 string anymore.

I hope that's enough excuses for the awfulness of this. Please, Mr. Blucher, don't come after me for presenting your wonderful pickup in this light.

All the guitar tracks are PAF7 in the neck position. Rhythm track is totally clean and dry.
The three leads are clean with effect, kick on gain, kick on high-gain.

Oh it's a UV777PBK with basswood body and rosewood fretboard.

~K

·
Registered
322 Posts
i'm having pf pros in nerly ll my 6stringers but when it comes to 7 the blaze2 [universe stock pu] are great!
try them!

·
Premium Member
3,422 Posts
Bass is a Triton Extreme and the Drums are an Alesis DM5
Amp is a Peavey Transtube 112 turned up really loud.

·
Registered
675 Posts
If you still are wondering, there is a great source on sevenstring.org. They do pretty in depth reviews on pick-ups, mainly your UV's,74/76/20's,. I was looking through there yesterday and noticed a fellow who did around 4 or 5 swaps in a row trying to find the right combo for his 7321. I believe the popular p/u swap is usually a Blaze (Bridge) and Air Norton in the neck but, I think (not 100%) this guy ended up happy with a Blaze neck (in bridge position) and a PAF7 in the neck. All depends on what your looking for tone-wise, but typically on the 74's and 76's, we're all dealing with basswood bodies. A lot of these reviews involved basswood bodies. Good luck!

·
Registered
955 Posts
Evo7 is good but it lacks a bit with the top end. I'm getting a bit frustrated by that. If I could go back I'dve had a D-Activator or something in instead. What I might do someday is stick some dimarzio-sized SD blackouts or something...

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've got a Blaze Custom/ PAF combo in my 7 string. Like other guys have said, the PAF maintains its clarity very well, even with stupid amounts of gain.

·
Registered
864 Posts
There actually is a PAF Pro7 that is non standard production. (No, its not a PAF7 Im confused with, I have those also and they sound and look different.) You might want to call Dimarzio and ask if they will one-off it for you custom. It has the correct double row of hex poles, and is hotter than a PAF7 with more scooped mids. I have one in the neck of my LACS. Ill see if I can get you the DP number tonight if I have time to pull the pickup and look at the back. Its actually really close in sound to the six string version.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts