Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have a dilemma. I have a 7 string, and I want to get new strings. I was thinking about getting thicker strings so that it won't be so wobbly when I drop to Drop A.
BUT.
I'd like to do drop B and/or Drop Bb. In order to do that, I'd have to tune the regular 6 strings UP. (so instead of EADGBE, it would be B,F#,B,E,G#,Db,then ignore the E string; or Bb,F,Bb,Eb,G,C, ignore E string.)

So if I wanted to tune the 6 strings UP, would I need thin strings then use a separate string for the B like a 59 or 60?

Hope this isn't confusing...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Generally the lower you tune the thicker the gauge you need, and the higher you go the lower the gauge you need. And when I say "need" i mean to keep the string tension at the same level that you are comforatble at (i.e. the usual tension at which you regularly play and like).

And that is all relative to the tension you are comforatble with. Some guys like loose strings and some guys love high tension in their strings.

I personally like 9's at standard tension so if i downtune i try to find a thicker gauge which will produce the same tension at the lower tuning. Vice versa if i uptune. I would look for lighter strings that will give me the same tension at a higher tuning. So essentially all my guitars will be in a multitude of tunings from really low to high, yet they will all have very similar string tensions and hence will be comfortable for me to play on.

If your case we'd need to know what string gauges you use for your current tuning. I presume you'll be using normal sort of strings which would most likely be 9's.

If thats the case try 8's with a 56-60 for B for your uptuning.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
I'm going to try 10's on standard tuning since 9's always feel pansy to me... but I guess I use to play with 12's after 4 months. (Was heavily into SRV)

But I agree with Gaz

1 - 4 of 4 Posts