Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there such an animal? I'm selling a 7620 but if I end up keeping it I want to put big singles in it. Does anyone know if there are 7 string P90's available from anyone, or anywhere? They can be humbucker sized or standard, I don't care.
thanks!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I'm pretty sure nobody makes 7 string P90's.

Why do you particularly want P90's in a 7 string ?
If you want single coils that fit in a humbucker route why don't you just buy a 7 string humbucker that's got a coil-tap and do it that way.

·
Super Moderator
9,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I like my guitars to be different, and I love P-90's. The 7620 I'm considering selling is in the classifieds here. I blew up my Acoustic G100-112 amp recently so I bought a Carvin half stack to replace it (I got it cheap ;) ) So, I'm looking at moving the 7620 because it is pristine and unmolested. If I keep it, I'm going to make some changes and P-90's are what I'm looking at now.

edit: I should add that the reason I don't just coil tap a humbucker is that there is no real way to tell without buying and trying what the single coil sound will be like. So, if I'm only looking at the single coil sound anyway, why not just go for the single coil I like the most? I have (or will have shortly) a custom 7 with Bartolini hums, so I've got the 7 string with hums covered. Now I want a 7 with true singles not "single capable" pickups. Something where every wind goes to the sound I'll be using, not wasting away on a dead coil.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
P-90's are a whole different ballgame when it comes to tone, and i like them maybe even more than humbuckers for rythm sounds at least, they just have a really strange amound of girth to them with that weird quack, nothing sounds quite like a p-90. Although I thoroughly beleive you can get a standard single coil sound by tapping a good quality humbucker *not all of them but the good ones* ive never heard anyone simulate a p-90's tone

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.