Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at the stuff coming out of 2007 NAMM - it looks like there's quite a few new extended range guitars being released. The new RG8 from Ibanez and i guess a couple J-Custom 7's? Rusty Cooley 7 and Razorback 7 from Dean, the Jeff Loomis sig from Schecter. Even a couple new Petrucci models from Ernie Ball...nice look 7's from Agile, etc.

This is pretty cool, the last time the 7-string market took off, it was driven mainly by Nu-Metal bands and the like, and quickly died after people realized they could just detune their 6 strings and play the same material.

This time around, it looks like manufacturers are catering to people who actually can *play* (no offence Nu-Metal fans):) And its pretty exciting - I know I havent been excited to buy a new guitar in years and now I dont know where to start:)

Just some thoughts :)

Awake77

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hell yea! :) I dont even own a 6-string anymore...haven't for a good 6 years. (well, my acoustic is a 6, but not for long:))

·
Registered
172 Posts
I used to own three 6 stringers.

Now i own a different three 6 stringers and four 7 stringers.

I can't go a day and not play with low B.

Its just too awesome having the range and not having to detune or strap on another guitar for lower stuff.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I can't go a day and not play with low B.

Its just too awesome having the range and not having to detune or strap on another guitar for lower stuff.
Oh deffo.

But then if you wanna play tuned to D or open Db or C or whatever it's an excuse to have another guitar!

·
Registered
312 Posts
RAZORBACK 7!!!! goddamn haven't seen that! I WANT ONE! hehe but first I want the 8 string Ibanez...just out of curiosity...anyone know the price of the Razorback 7?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe the street price is going to be ~$1299...

Ive been hoping Dean would makea Razorback 7 ever since that guitar was released - really cool they went through with it. I know its nasty lookin' but I kind of like the black and yellow finish:)

Have you guys seen the Schecter Jeff Loomis signature model?

26.5" Scale, maple fingerboard, EMG707's, and supposedly new for <$1000. I dont own a Schecter but this might change things:)

I'd love to get ahold of that RG8 too - but Im going to hold out for a while to see if they release different finishes, possibly a floating trem, etc.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
26.5" is definitely a great idea, that low B sounds like it needs a little extra tension no matter what size i go up to! and anything higher than .60 seems to feel kinda dead to me so i dont wanna go higher that the .58 i have on atm
jeff loomis is a pretty killer player, id feel proud having his sig axe

·
Registered
883 Posts
The Agiles look like a great deal (especially when they first came out with Blazes installed), and it's always great when more manufacturers enter the fray with extended scale lengths and whatnot.

I hope more 7 strings are introduced into the market, but I would still like the used market to stay low. I bought both my 7's for under $200 after the "crash," when everbody put out 7's at the same time people stopped buying them.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Once I got my RG7620, I never looked back. I do miss my RG770 sometimes though - but even if I had it I doubt it would get much use.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts