Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Simply put - I have an S2170. I love the ZR trem. There are some aspects of this guitar I'm not crazy about, like the pickups needed replacing, and the arm holder broke (Both fixed now)

But overall, I think its a fantastic axe.

I'm now looking into 7 string guitars, and while I love the look and idea of an RG1527, I just can't bring myself to abandon my ZR (I'll be selling a guitar or two to afford this), so I'm looking for recommendations on what 7 strings have one. As far as I'm aware it seems like the S7320 is the only one, but while its well within my budget, I'm hesitant to go for it. I know my S2170 is korean, but the 7320 seems to be WAY too cheap considering I bought my 2170 for 799 and the only specification differences seem to be the removal of a pickup, the finish, and the lack of prestige finishing (Not an issue, its going straight to a good tech the moment I get it, whatever I buy.)

I also have a few questions -

1 - I know there is somethign about the 400MM radius on wizard 2 necks not matching with the ZR bridge properly, but I've never had it explained properly to me. Is this true? Does it extend to the ZR7?

2 - The S2170 was 799. The S7320 is £504. Wheres the £300 been saved while they're still adding an extra string? Surely its not JUST the finish, lack of a middle pup, and the fretboard finishing? What else has been skimped on, because at £504 that looks like a shedload of 7 string for the money, and I'm not sure I trust it that much.

3 - Is the S7320 any good? I already know a lot of you don't like the wizard 2 profile, but frankly, if its the same kinda shape as my current neck, then thats not an issue.

4 - Any known issues with these? Any other guitars with a ZR7? I LOVE THIS BRIDGE.

----------------
Now playing: Visit Venus - One Passenger Lost
via FoxyTunes

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
did you try the zr tremolo? i don't like it.....you can't gragle like a standar edge pro 7 or like an original floyd rose.....

cause there to many resistance from the springs....

i prefer the old one!
The first sentence of my post above mentions that I have an S2170 and that I love the ZR trem. Also, I always remove the ZPS system, so I CAN gargle it.

Appreciate the effort chap, but I know what I want, thats why I asked for advice on what fits my description above. I've tried edges and OFRs and don't like either.

·
Registered
281 Posts
The first sentence of my post above mentions that I have an S2170 and that I love the ZR trem. Also, I always remove the ZPS system, so I CAN gargle it.

Appreciate the effort chap, but I know what I want, thats why I asked for advice on what fits my description above. I've tried edges and OFRs and don't like either.
easy man.... you don't even said that, you remove the springs....

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
easy man.... you don't even said that, you remove the springs....
The point is, I said multiple times that I wanted a ZR. Then you came in and said 'Hey, are you sure you don't want [your favourite trems]'

If it seems like I'm being an *******, its because you didn't read what I asked for and just gave me a response that had nothing to do with the question.

----------------
Now playing: Total Eclipse - Nakano ghost
via FoxyTunes

·
Registered
281 Posts
be cool man...i don't know why you keep telling me that with tension...
i don't even care what's the favorite **** for you...
grow up man...there's no reason to fight me from here because it's just a forum..

·
Registered
597 Posts
A friend of mine has the S7320 and loves it. I tried it and it plays great. AFAIK there are no quality issues. If you love ZR, I don't see why you won't like it. Just swap the pickups and you got a great guitar (my friend replaced them with D-Activators)
As for the price "gap" between S7320 and S2170, it's just the pickups. 2179 has DiMarzio-Ibanez pickups, while 7320 just Ibanez. Add to this the "Prestige" treatment and you got your price.
Since you like S guitars, get it. My friend loves it (hell I would love it too, if I didn't like my 1527 more, but this is just me...) and has no problems (he got it new two years ago).
Least you can do...Try it!

Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A friend of mine has the S7320 and loves it. I tried it and it plays great. AFAIK there are no quality issues. If you love ZR, I don't see why you won't like it. Just swap the pickups and you got a great guitar (my friend replaced them with D-Activators)
As for the price "gap" between S7320 and S2170, it's just the pickups. 2179 has DiMarzio-Ibanez pickups, while 7320 just Ibanez. Add to this the "Prestige" treatment and you got your price.
Since you like S guitars, get it. My friend loves it (hell I would love it too, if I didn't like my 1527 more, but this is just me...) and has no problems (he got it new two years ago).
Least you can do...Try it!

Hope this helps
Cheers man, sounds good.

----------------
Now playing: djpretzel - Chrono Trigger Jethro and Vash at the Fair OC ReMix
via FoxyTunes

·
Registered
308 Posts
1 - I know there is somethign about the 400MM radius on wizard 2 necks not matching with the ZR bridge properly, but I've never had it explained properly to me. Is this true? Does it extend to the ZR7?
The Wiz2 on the S2170 has a 400mm fretboard radius, while the ZR bridge has a 430mm radius, which is a mismatch. This means that you cannot get an evenly low action across the 6 strings as with a matched fretboard, such as on the S5470. The MII RGs have the same issue, as the Edge III has a 430mm radius and their fretboards again 400mm.

This can be remedied with saddle shims, however. Plus, it is really only a big deal if you want very low action - the G and D strings will be sitting on the board very quickly, and string bends will be choked.

It is exactly this mismatched radius thing that makes a lot of people shun the S2170 as non-Prestige worthy. The S2170 is not a thin-neck low-action high-speed guitar as the former S-series, and that's what annoyed many people when it got released. Yet, there are plenty of guitars that do not have an evenly coordinated radius with the bridge along the fretboard. But that's aparently not what many S-series users look for anyway :).

I am pretty certain the S7320 has a mismatched trem/fretboard radius as well.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Wiz2 on the S2170 has a 400mm fretboard radius, while the ZR bridge has a 430mm radius, which is a mismatch. This means that you cannot get an evenly low action across the 6 strings as with a matched fretboard, such as on the S5470. The MII RGs have the same issue, as the Edge III has a 430mm radius and their fretboards again 400mm.

This can be remedied with saddle shims, however. Plus, it is really only a big deal if you want very low action - the G and D strings will be sitting on the board very quickly, and string bends will be choked.

It is exactly this mismatched radius thing that makes a lot of people shun the S2170 as non-Prestige worthy. The S2170 is not a thin-neck low-action high-speed guitar as the former S-series, and that's what annoyed many people when it got released. Yet, there are plenty of guitars that do not have an evenly coordinated radius with the bridge along the fretboard. But that's aparently not what many S-series users look for anyway :).

I am pretty certain the S7320 has a mismatched trem/fretboard radius as well.
Fair enough. I have my action set medium on my 2170 anyway and it feels good, so I guess I'll like the 7320 too.

----------------
Now playing: Circa Survive - Your Friends Are Gone
via FoxyTunes

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.