Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm planning to do a tutorial soon. I've been planning it for awhile but it hasn't worked out yet. I've done some other fiber optic stuff before this one and each comes out a bit better than the last. Hopefully I'll have a tutorial ready in a month or so. There's lots of little things that make a huge difference with each neck.

MJ

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Basically you remove the fretboard, drill into the center of the stock sidemarkers, create individual routes/channels per side marker so that they all meet up on the treble side of the fretboard and exit through the end of the neck. Then you have to reglue the fretboard and use the LED in the cavity to provide the light.

There's also a good amount of refinishing work needed on most of the necks once they are glued back on.

I live in Juneau :)

MJ

·
Registered
640 Posts
Right on,,, I figured it would be that simple,,,it's just having the balls to actually do it! You got the balls bro... I twitched at the thought of removing my inlays,,let alone pulling the fret board off...lol.

Juneau! awesome I visited Juneau years ago, along with Skagway, fairbanks, Anchorage,,, got lost up in the Seward peninsula,,,lol,, the further north Iwent the harder the cities were to pronounce,,,turned around while I could still pronounce Wale and Teller. Beautiful country.

~A

·
Registered
623 Posts
Monty-Jay said:
Basically you remove the fretboard, drill into the center of the stock sidemarkers, create individual routes/channels per side marker so that they all meet up on the treble side of the fretboard and exit through the end of the neck. Then you have to reglue the fretboard and use the LED in the cavity to provide the light.
Oh, is that all? :D :D

For some of us, you might as well be saying, "well, you just open up the chest cavity" when you talk about removing the fretboard. Nice job. It looks great.

You should take cool slow shutter speed pics of you playing the guitar in the dark. :)

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Is that a 2117x?

There looks like there's a SLIGHT gap between the neck and fretboard in some of those pics, how';s stability?

-D

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
I've been considering the idea of doing inlays this way, using a bunch of tiny dots in some kind of pattern (I'm thinking DNA spiral or something) and in a way that they constantly change colour (yes, I got the idea from the childrens fiber-optic light toys :lol:). Seems simple enough to do once you get past being horrified about removing and re-glueing the fretboard :lol: If I ever build myself a guitar I'll have to give this a shot.

·
Registered
116 Posts
i'm by far in having a required taste for led inlays and lazer rays ect...but i think side dots give it a nice touch expecially if its dark its not flashy at all imo. so nice work

1 - 20 of 44 Posts