Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reference thread here.

Moderator Jim777 said
As said already, these are fine instruments but not collectible (no matter what eBay sellers hope).
Or someone else said...
Nobody really cares about 550s man.
I replied noting that the collector boom for 1980s guitars was just taking off, was pretty obvious to anyone who was paying attention to ebay at that time and would follow a similar trajectory to other 'nostalgia collectibles' that became more popular based on demographic trends.

This was in 2014 when I (and many others) was/were buying 1980's MIJ Charvels and 550s for $250-$350 a piece.
So yeah, sure wish I had bought Bitcoin or Tesla stock instead, but on the matter of guitars appreciating in value (when their suggestion was to "buy gold, cuz that's a REAL investment") where they literally mocked the idea of buying them, I'm up 300-500%, model depending, with prices only rising and bid volume getting more intense on every vintage hair-era guitar I have.

So about a 15%-18% compounded annual growth rate for simply being able to foresee a dead-easy collectibles trend that is shaping up even further as we speak.

The CAGR for an ounce of gold bought in 2014?
About 5%.

You should have listened.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I currently have about 4 or 5 80s 550s. All lefty so it's not as sought after. But i finally decided which one to keep and the rest to sell. So I'll be doing that soon

·
Registered
358 Posts
I've got 4 and a 70s lawsuit model. Think i got in quickly enough!

I'm selling a JS, to fund my new bass obsession, but the rest are keepers.
I don't care that my floral JEM would now go for nearly 10 times what I paid got it. It's mine and I'm not selling!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Reference thread here.

Moderator Jim777 said

Or someone else said...

I replied noting that the collector boom for 1980s guitars was just taking off, was pretty obvious to anyone who was paying attention to ebay at that time and would follow a similar trajectory to other 'nostalgia collectibles' that became more popular based on demographic trends.

This was in 2014 when I (and many others) was/were buying 1980's MIJ Charvels and 550s for $250-$350 a piece.
So yeah, sure wish I had bought Bitcoin or Tesla stock instead, but on the matter of guitars appreciating in value (when their suggestion was to "buy gold, cuz that's a REAL investment") where they literally mocked the idea of buying them, I'm up 300-500%, model depending, with prices only rising and bid volume getting more intense on every vintage hair-era guitar I have.

So about a 15%-18% compounded annual growth rate for simply being able to foresee a dead-easy collectibles trend that is shaping up even further as we speak.

The CAGR for an ounce of gold bought in 2014?
About 5%.

You should have listened.
Wonderful. There is a desk and chair in the basement of your local Morgan Stanley branch awaiting your buttocks.

·
Super Moderator
7,323 Posts
Ahhh yes I remember in the UK in the early 90s days of Britpop and the £600 original Japanese floral JEMs currently listing for over £4000 on that popular instrument sales website.

·
Super Moderator
7,323 Posts
As a genuine question though, have you actually been able to sell these at the prices you value them at? I’ve seen a lot of guitars popping up for sale repeatedly and don’t know whether they’re selling at the advertised price or going back under the bed?

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have not sold mine yet.
But I've seen lefty 550s in worse shape sell about 700-800 frequently the last 6 months.
I bought just of mine for 300 or 400 in almost unused condition.

I bought many of them to restore one my wife gave me on our wedding day.

If i sell them for what I got them for plus fees for the bay I'll be happy.

I don't care for the double or triple cost thing atm. But any thing extra wouldn't hurt.
It would just help fund my house savings.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
The last few guitars I have bought were a 91 S540 LTD, an 86 RG135, an 86 RG440, and an 89 Charvel Fusion. So yes, I'm that guy looking for them from time to time. So if you guys could kindly keep the prices low, I'd appreciate it! (though my wife may not... lol). I'm cheap and still buy them low, but it is getting harder and harder... The 540s was listed on the 'bay as "Ibanez electric guitar". I had to do my research, take a gamble, and lucked out. It was in a beat up old hard case, but in near new condition. Arguably the best playing guitar I have!

The original post is right though... The old hair era classic metal guitars are definitely going up. I still say that you get more quality for your dollar by buying late 80's early 90's Japanese made guitars, compared to the prices they ask now for Indo stuff. You just have to be careful and make sure they are in good shape.

·
Registered
219 Posts
The last few guitars I have bought were a 91 S540 LTD, an 86 RG135, an 86 RG440, and an 89 Charvel Fusion. So yes, I'm that guy looking for them from time to time. So if you guys could kindly keep the prices low, I'd appreciate it! (though my wife may not... lol). I'm cheap and still buy them low, but it is getting harder and harder... The 540s was listed on the 'bay as "Ibanez electric guitar". I had to do my research, take a gamble, and lucked out. It was in a beat up old hard case, but in near new condition. Arguably the best playing guitar I have!

The original post is right though... The old hair era classic metal guitars are definitely going up. I still say that you get more quality for your dollar by buying late 80's early 90's Japanese made guitars, compared to the prices they ask now for Indo stuff. You just have to be careful and make sure they are in good shape.
Absolutely.
The 80s 90s models are a beast for the buck.

The Genesis models are a bit better in terms of construction but the electronics are a bit off to me.

Through all the literature i still feel that my Genny came with v7/8 and not the v1/2 as described.

Just remember that the 550 is what would eventually become the prestige line.

Even if the 550 Genny isn't considered to be one, it feels like one.

I have a 87 road flare and a 2017 Genny road flare.

Construction is the same, but you can't match the feel of the 80s

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As a genuine question though, have you actually been able to sell these at the prices you value them at? I’ve seen a lot of guitars popping up for sale repeatedly and don’t know whether they’re selling at the advertised price or going back under the bed?
I don't sell them at the prices "I value them at".
I list them for sale at auction and let the market determine the price.
The prices are much higher than what I was paying for them in 2014 when people mocked the idea that 1980s guitars were 'collectible' even though they obviously were, even at that time, and on the leading edge of a generational collectibles trend that is very predictable (when guys enter their 30's-50's, they chase after original examples of the things they lusted after, as kids)

This is notwithstanding their overwhelming value as high quality working instruments, selling for less than other brands that are made worse, but sell for more.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Weird flex, It's way more fun to play them but you do you my friend. I know I'm not selling any of mine, that's a fools job. :p

·
Super Moderator
7,323 Posts
I don't sell them at the prices "I value them at".
I list them for sale at auction and let the market determine the price.
The prices are much higher than what I was paying for them in 2014 when people mocked the idea that 1980s guitars were 'collectible' even though they obviously were, even at that time, and on the leading edge of a generational collectibles trend that is very predictable (when guys enter their 30's-50's, they chase after original examples of the things they lusted after, as kids)
Ok then, are you selling them at a significant profit per instrument after you’ve factored in your time and expenses to create the auction, buy the shipping box, package the guitar, drive to the post office or interrupt your day to have it collected and deal with potential scammers?

I’m not seeing these guitars sell, and as I said all those years ago, I used to spend a lot of my free time looking at their values. To me, the time and effort associated with each initial purchase and then each sale seems like it would eat into any profits your making.

Sinking all the initial outlay into a rarer JEM would have made you more profit, taken up less space over the last 7 years and only require one successful sale to have cash in hand again...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok then, are you selling them at a significant profit per instrument after you’ve factored in your time and expenses to create the auction, buy the shipping box, package the guitar, drive to the post office or interrupt your day to have it collected and deal with potential scammers?
Buyers pay for shipping costs.
The time to pack and ship them is trivial.

I’m not seeing these guitars sell, and as I said all those years ago, I used to spend a lot of my free time looking at their values. To me, the time and effort associated with each initial purchase and then each sale seems like it would eat into any profits your making.
OK, then I guess all the ones I am, in fact, selling and that can be verified as having, in fact, acutally sold on ebay and Reverb are just an illusion and your own personal observations are better. Gotcha.

Sinking all the initial outlay into a rarer JEM would have made you more profit, taken up less space over the last 7 years and only require one successful sale to have cash in hand again...
Sinking it into Bitcoin would have been even better. That isn't the point.
The point is that 7 years ago, when values started to rise, a bunch of clueless guys said that wasn't true.
It was true and now, we can see the results (or, at least I can see the results, and everyone else can see the results, but you don't see them. Gotcha)

·
Super Moderator
7,323 Posts
Buyers pay for shipping costs.
The time to pack and ship them is trivial.
Some people do shipping as part of the deal, I'm surprised you think your own time is trivial though, you seem full of your own self importance.

OK, then I guess all the ones I am, in fact, selling and that can be verified as having, in fact, acutally sold on ebay and Reverb are just an illusion and your own personal observations are better. Gotcha.
So your personal observations of selling a couple are better than mine of watching the same guitars being relisted a couple fo times before dissappearing and not knowing whether they sold or not when they don't appear in the "sold" listings... other than "best offers" Gotcha.

Sinking it into Bitcoin would have been even better. That isn't the point.
The point is that 7 years ago, when values started to rise, a bunch of clueless guys said that wasn't true.
It was true and now, we can see the results (or, at least I can see the results, and everyone else can see the results, but you don't see them. Gotcha)
Buying a winning Euromillions ticket would have been even smarter, but what the heck, eh? ;)

Maybe the USA has a different used market than the UK, but on the UK site there are no RG570s or RG550s that sold for their asking prices on eBay in the default timeframe. I don't often use Reverb so might be wrong but I can't see if those that did sell via that site actually sold for an offer or the "doubled since 7 years ago" advertised price.

I'd love to know that you're right, because I've got loads of old RGs floating around, but I'm still not seeing them actually having doubled in actual selling price, just the asking price. But I should believe you because you've hung around waiting for 7 years to come back and post this thread. Gotcha.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Some people do shipping as part of the deal, I'm surprised you think your own time is trivial though, you seem full of your own self importance.
If it takes me an hour to pack and ship something I'm converting a 400% profit on, that's fine.
My hourly rate, professionally speaking, is pretty high but its not that high.

So your personal observations of selling a couple are better than mine of watching the same guitars being relisted a couple fo times before dissappearing and not knowing whether they sold or not when they don't appear in the "sold" listings... other than "best offers" Gotcha.
Its almost as if you just don't understand that ebay selling prices are a thing and that historical ebay selling prices are available. Like, you're speaking here as if its a matter of competing opinion and not a matter of measurable fact.

I'd love to know that you're right, because I've got loads of old RGs floating around, but I'm still not seeing them actually having doubled in actual selling price, just the asking price
Since 2014?
Then maybe someone needs to start providing you the information in braille, since you're clearly blind.

·
Super Moderator
7,323 Posts
If it takes me an hour to pack and ship something I'm converting a 400% profit on, that's fine.
My hourly rate, professionally speaking, is pretty high but its not that high.
400% of nothing is still nothing. You know that right?

If I bought an RG570 in 2014 for £250 (which I did) the UK market is not going to be able to sell it for £1250.

As a favour to the site as a whole, and because you think I'm blind or stupid, give us some actual numbers. Something along the lines of...

"In 2014 I bought an RG550 for $250 and sold it yesterday for $1250, my profit was $1000, which is 400% of the original purchase price"

Its almost as if you just don't understand that ebay selling prices are a thing and that historical ebay selling prices are available. Like, you're speaking here as if its a matter of competing opinion and not a matter of measurable fact.
Exactly, they're measurable fact. And whilst I don't claim to be intimately familiar in the with all the tools on eBay, I can only find these guitars selling at a best offer, the value of which I'm not able to see. If you can see it, post it up for everyone to see.

Since 2014?
Then maybe someone needs to start providing you the information in braille, since you're clearly blind.
Well, I wished you'd provide something other than empty rhetoric... See above for request for some actual numbers...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
As a favour to the site as a whole, and because you think I'm blind or stupid, give us some actual numbers.

If you can see it, post it up for everyone to see.

Well, I wished you'd provide something other than empty rhetoric... See above for request for some actual numbers...
I'll do you one better.
Lets put together a wager.
I'll show my own sales, with screen caps of the original craigslist ads from where I bought them showing my original cost basis (I have to keep rather precise tax records for reasons irrelevant to this discussion)

I'll then show the actual ebay auctions where those exact guitars sold for a profit in the ranges I'm talking about.

If I cannot do that, you win.
If I can do that, I win. Sound good?

Lets talk stakes. I'm willing to put my money where my time is. Are you?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good grief. You bottled up this hostility for SEVEN years to come back and start an “i told you so” thread? Let it go, man.
There's no hostility. I just remember thinking at the time "Jesus Christ, how ****ing dumb are these guys... They're literally arguing against reality" but knew it would take some time to sort out.

Now that I'm starting to take an exit on some of the lesser played guitars (probably a bit too early, but oh well), it reminded me of this thread.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts