Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
A .70 will fit no problem, you will have to reintonate your guitar for it though. 7 dying trees is right with the drilling of the tuning pegs as it will not accomodate the thick string without widening it. If you don't want to drill it, you can also just use several thick guitar strings and use it to file the inside(I did it with a .56 and a .62 before moving up to the .70 to file it)

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
red5 said:
Use Zakk Wylde's GHS Boomers which use .70s as a low E I believe on a 6. I can't go for the mismatched tensions, but I have usd .13-.58s in the past on a 6.
I must be the only person that uses those in B, I prefer super thick strings for my 7. I usually just buy an extra .10 to make them a 7 set, real meaty;)

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
7 Dying Trees said:
a .70 will fit. You may need to drill out the tuning peg though, as I've had problems fitting the string through in one or two of my guitars.
This is tuned to A mind you, although I'd still use 60-65 if i tuned it to B as i found the low string really benefits from that extra tension. I then use a 10-52 (or9-46 if in standard) set

·
Registered
201 Posts
i use 10-52 with a low .70 on my 7 string tuned to B standard. I just can't stand floppy strings, the .70 gives me just the right tension. I think it actually matches the tension of the .52 tuned to E quite well.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
brothersnowgone said:
I must be the only person that uses those in B, I prefer super thick strings for my 7. I usually just buy an extra .10 to make them a 7 set, real meaty;)
Hey whatever works for you. Just to confuse people I am going to use all .20s. Probably have to tune it like a sitar or something else.

When I had 13-58s, people would ask "can I play your guitar?" I'd tell them "you can try if you want!" and they'd try to play a chord, fail and give it back ;)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah :) thats right I´ve heard this so often!Ha!

The only guy who was able to play it like that was my drummer...I asked him if he was sure for going with drums ;)

red5 said:
When I had 13-58s, people would ask "can I play your guitar?" I'd tell them "you can try if you want!" and they'd try to play a chord, fail and give it back ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.