Ibanez JEM Forum banner
4K views 35 replies 21 participants last post by  Flobanez 
#1 ·
I am in the process of selling one of my guitars to buy a 7 string, and I want to get a decent one with a locking system for around $400-500 or so. I am new to the 7 string models (i own a RG570 and a RG350) and want to get the best possible bang for my buck.

Thanks for all of your advice =) Oh, I am also planning on adding EMG 707's later on down the road, if that makes any difference in which guitar you guys would reccommend.

Thanks in advance!
<J>

#9 ·
Chud said:
I wouldn't knock the RG7420.
I've got one and the trem is really quite good for the price. :)
Actually that's true, I had a 7420 that played really nicely, and the trem was fine, but from what I hear the trem's can be a bit 'hit and miss', i.e. some are fine and some aren't. At least with a 7620 you can be pretty certain it'll play nice.

#11 ·
1527! cuz I have all ready bought 2,, 3 wouldn't hurt! LOL. I would actually like to have one of the eupean black ones and the new 1527RB for sure. I have finally found home on a guitar, one that I can totally call my own. I've loved UV's for years but no matter how much I enjoyed them,,there was always that slight stigma,,,it's Steves model. No matter how much I would mod it out, someone would always notice that it was a "Vai" model. Which would then lead to the comment " boy,,, I wonder what vai would say if he seen what you did to his guitar". So yeah, 1527 it is. I do wish they had the H/S/H option and peizo on the new ones,,but hey whadda ya do? Aren't there 7620's with factory Piezo's? I would like to have one them.

~A

~A

#13 ·
The RG7620 never came with a Piezo fitted.

The only Ibanez RG 7's with Piezos are the RG2027X(and the 2127X but that has the Edge-Pro7 instead of the Lo-Pro7) and the J-Custom RG7CST.

I've got an RG2027X and it's such a versatile guitar with the Piezo set-up. You can get some great sounds out of it and it's got an awesome neck too. I love the sound that the mahogany body gives you as well.
I would say it's probably the most versatile 7 string Ibanez that Ibanez ever made (imho anyway!)

#15 ·
i remember when rg7620s first came out. i bought one for $800 in 99. i ended up selling it during some hard times. now i have 2: a black 99 and a VK 99. i wished i had never sold it, because i lost it for $200 at a pawn shop. but now i have 2 for less than what i bought my old 7620 for. i can't wait until eddie gets my custom body done. it will smoke. AN7/TZ7 in mahogany...yum.

i haven't had a chance to play the 1527's but i would like to. the 5 piece necks are a really great idea and i wish the 7620s had that. i just like the lo-pro edge.

rich

#17 ·
i got a RG1527 going cheap off the net, brand new 450 quid inc. shipping and import tax to the uk!
it was the 1st proper guitar i ever purchased but i love it to pieces! i never played the others in your list or owned them, but i see nothing wrong with the 1527, the trem stays in tune beautifully, the neck is sweet as, the body comfy as, the only thing bad is the pickups, which could do with an upgrade. highly recommend a 1527!

#18 ·
rgr said:
7620 should be well within your budget, and a nice guitar. A 1527 is pushing your upper $ range. The 7420 is Korean made and decent for what it is, but it has the Lo TRS trem, personally I wouldn't buy one.

Roger
7420's are Japanese.
I would suggest a 1527. its basically a 7620 w/ an edge pro. Put some locking studs and new pickups in and you're set.

#22 ·
jim777 said:
How can you not go with the 7620? I just got a mint one yesterday with case for $350. Can't beat it with a stick!
Man, how are you guys getting these 7 strings at these great prices? I mean, you're like the 3rd person I've read about recently getting a 7620 cheap. Are you finding them used in guitar shops? On the auction site the selling prices are very random, but usually higher than $350...

#24 ·
With me, I never saw a 7620 until I spotted one in Brunswick Maine in 1998.
I had to have it. Back then for a 1000.00, I guess it wasn't too bad. It's been worth it.
I'd choose the 7620 over the 7420 in a heartbeat and at 350, Im wanting a second 7620.
I've always wanted to get a 7620 GN. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.