Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello guys. I am planning to buy a guitar. I am focusing on 7vwh but I am not sure about it. what do you say about rg3120 or anything else? I am all talking about 2005 catalog models. I will play stuff like dream theater, vai, becker ... what do you say? I ve got enough money for 7vwh or rg3120

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Depends on the price difference. RG current RG3120 doesn't have real Dimarzios in it anymore so you'll have to fork out another $200 or so for some new pickups on it. But either way you should try both guitars out first as the necks on the two guitars are not the same.

(Personally I would get the RG3120 over the Jem, but that's my preference..)

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I would agree. You should definitely play both before making your decision. I've played the JEM7vwh and the RG3120 and I really am not a big fan of the EVO pickups so they would have to be changed. Other than that, the JEM is one of the best guitars I've ever played. The RG3120 was also a very nice guitar but I would rather have the RG2570 for the inlays. Regardless of what guitar you choose, you'll have an awesome instrument.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I prefer the feel of the 7VWH just because of it's body wood (alder, sounds more like a hot-rodded strat i guess) and nice neck. The JEM necks are fatter (only slightly) then the wizard necks which seems to make a whole lot of difference for me :p

Also, the high output pickups are a love/hate thing, so i guess you'd have to try it out through the amp you normally play through.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
All the Prestige RGs and the JEMs have the same locking trem being the Edge Pro. It's a good trem system. Pickups can be replaced on any of the guitars, so really it should come down to feel and personal preference if you can afford any of those guitars. I do like the fact that the 7vwh is made of Alder because it's a very nice tonewood but I also really like mahogany. The only wood that I'm not super satisfied with is basswood because it doesn't really have a lot of character. You really need to just play these guitars because the necks on them, for me, would be the big deciding factor if I could afford them all. Personally (even though I think the JEM is a bit overpriced) I would probably go with the JEM and just change out the pickups to something that I like better solely because it has the most comfortable neck profile of any guitar I've ever played...there, I said it.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
I'm not a fan of most high output pickups, but I personally love the way the Evolutions sound especially on alder. You probably won't even think about replacing them.

The Dimarzio IBZ however I probably would replace with something a little smoother sounding. Some people really like those though!

What I should point out is that the RGT320Q is a mahogany body with a maple top and a neck thru as well. It will have quite a different sound than the Jem7vwh. Alder tends to be a bit smoother and will provide you a tone closer to what I think you are looking for.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hmm. I should try rg3120 and compare with jem7vwh I think. But one thing that I dont understand is does the quality of wood type standart for all ibanez? I mean, for example is it the same mahogany that rg3120 and rgt42 are made of?? And is the edge pro standart for all the guitars?? 2000$ and 600$ guitars have the same wood, same edge.... is the difference only the pickup??(of course not but what is it??? )

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
The guitars have different wood quality depending on where it's made in the world along with whether or not it's Prestige. I would say that all of the Prestige instruments have about the same quality wood and bridges so an $1100 RG2570 would have the same quality as a $2000 JEM7VWH but they are still different guitars and you're paying a little more for Steve's name. But there is a HUGE difference between the Prestige RGs and the regular series RGs. Don't get me wrong, the regular RG guitars are very good guitars for the money but you really get what you pay for with Ibanez. If you pay $400 for a guitar then don't expect it to be a JEM.

·
Super Moderator
9,753 Posts
I've owned both guitars and never was able to see the whole "wow!" factor that others see in the 3120. It just didn't do it for me at all. The 7VWH however was one of the nicest bolt-ons I've ever played. Come to think of it, I don't like the Air Norton/Tone Zone combination either. ;)

·
Registered
955 Posts
I'd say go with whatever you can afford, though the best thing is to try both of them, and go with what your ears and hands say. If you do opt for the RG3120 then only replace the pickups if you think the sound could be better, rather than just because they're of a lower spec than genuine DiMarzios.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.