Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone -

I'm going to buy a new Jem 7vwh within the month and want to know what I don't know. I've been reading this site for some time and have read many threads about the guitar and the various offspring of the Jem model.

What can I expect in terms of best cash price for a new model?

What should I look for in terms of set-up on the Jem? I have many guitars and know the basics, but is there anything about the Jem that I should look at specifically?

I have wanted one of these for many years and the time is right to pick one up. I have seen a few in local shops like GC and Sam Ash. I have also looked at several online dealers and at Rich Harris' link. I would prefer to put my hands on the guitar that I buy but that is not what I have to do - what advice do you have? I have read that Ibanez Rules includes a good setup with purchase. How bad is the stock setup on one of these guitars? Surely it is within normal tolerances and can be easily adjusted for player preference - right?

I would appreciate any and all advice and help that you can provide.

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
The thing is, buying from Rich, you can expect a guitar that's set up to perfection. With a store-bought guitar, they are a little hit or miss. It is entirely possible you may find a good one off the shelf, and if you are any good at setting up guitars yourself then that's great, you can tweak it exactly how you want it, but if you want an awesome setup guaranteed plus exceptional customer service, see Rich.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
+1

I bought my 7vwh from Rich. I'd never even touched one before, I just knew I wanted one. The setup was killer, not to mention the locking stud mod that Rich includes. On top of that I believe he was actually a few bucks cheaper than retail at GC although you could probably talk those guys down some.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Make that three. I've brought a few guitars from Rich, including a 7vwh and I've never been disappointed.

·
Super Moderator
9,700 Posts
If you get a guitar from GC or somewhere else you'll have to do the actiona and intonation yourself, as that will have gone out the window (if it was even done) on the trip over from Japan. If you want the absolute lowest price int he country, go to Matt's (see the banner above). If you want close to the lowest anywhere, and completely setup (including things not covered under a typical action and intonation, like making sure the frets are level and seated properly, locking stud addition, etc, etc...) go to Rich. If you get from Rich, there is 0% chance there will be an issue with it that would cause you to swap it.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Even though i have never purchased from Rich, one day i will hopefully be in the position of considering a 7vwh and wouldn't hesitate in getting it from Rich. There's no other choice when it comes to his legendary setups. :)

·
Registered
740 Posts
Yea i've never bought from Rich, but as soon as i have the cash and he has some more JPM's in i wont be waiting long with the reputation he has for keeping people happy.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Yeh I was getting an SK from Rich but current circumstances have ruled that out now. I am definitely still getting my VBK from Rich, from what I have heard you will not get a better set up guitar anywhere else.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Yeah I am eyeing 7VBK too but not sure whether I get 8470BX or 7VBK. Can someone tell me the comparison between 8470 neck/fret width to standard JEM neck?

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
I've been around this site for a long time and know lots of the people here.
I've also purchased many, many guitars over the years and have seen some horror stories regarding conditions and setups.

My last purchase from Rich Harris was an original UVMC and it was damn close to perfect. No suprises. To me, that is worth a fortune - especially with expensive guitars.

Remember, you get what you pay for.

-jemaholic

·
Vendor
26,452 Posts
Too much love here, somebody say something bad!!

If you want close to the lowest anywhere, and completely setup (including things not covered under a typical action and intonation, like making sure the frets are level and seated properly, locking stud addition, etc, etc...) go to Rich. If you get from Rich, there is 0% chance there will be an issue with it that would cause you to swap it.
I'm not even close, not thinking about trying to be, need to be high or the reps get nothing but complaints from other dealers, as they do at even my current level of ABOVE SMAP pricing. I guess I'll never win. I could go authorized and all the other dealers would probably still find something to complain about.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
I called Rich one night after 9, and he hung up on me.

Not to mention the PRS I bought from him looked like it got dipped in a bucket of grease, and was completely out of tune. You know how hard it is to get a stop-tail back in tune?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Bought my UV777BK from Rich in 2004, freaking flawless. He even went out of his way to get a better neck when the original had probelms. I bought it sight unseen and would not hesitate to by from him again. (If I hit the lottery it will probably be weekly LOL)

·
Registered
312 Posts
Can't you pay to have the 7vwh set up by someone at Guitar Center, for example, if that's where you're buying it from? That was maybe what I was hoping to do...if I can't have it set up by them, maybe I shall go to Rich...I've heard nothing but good things.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts