Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hallo..
i have a chance to get cheap Roland dac 80d..
I need an amp i could use for rehearsals and smaller gigs..
Is it loud enough enough for that duty..?
Does it need to be micked to be heard in smaller venues..?
Can it be heard with the drummer..?
i would use it with my 7 string 7620..
Could it withstand it..
My style is best described as Dream Theater..
i don't care for its dist, cause i use my boss processor..
Thank You..!
ps: i dont have money for some expensive amp..thats the reason i am posting this thread, about this one..

·
Registered
9,306 Posts
Should definitely be loud enough, I've jammed and gigged with a 35W solid state Peavey and a 65W Kustom 1x12 combo. The Peavey ended up dying slowly but the 65W Kustom does it with ease.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So..how enough that would be..?
with ease..or barely enough over drummer..?
I need to be sure that it will do its function - to amplify me! :)

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, just for the ilustration, at what volume percentage do u guys use your amps..?
For example..timi h, when using your 50w amp, what aproximate percentage of its power do you use..?
Do you guys think that 80watt can be useful even at bigger places..let say that it is miced..but still, can it be loud enough to be the monitor..?

As you can see, i am a bit scarred not to make a mistake and buy an amp that wont let me hear myself on stage..(since i have already one old old old Teisco tube amp of aproximate 30-40 watt power..and its not of use to me..and anyway, it has blown speaker..)

·
Registered
587 Posts
yep, i use a 50 watt tube head with a 2x12 combo. it really is LOUD. it's plenty loud for most gigs, and otherwise just mic it for bigger venues.

i know some professional guitarists who use 50 watt amps because it really is loud enough. So 80 watts really should be enough;)

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Still don't know what to do..
what do you guys think that it would be better for me..
There are 2 amps at same price..
peavey kb100..a peavey keyboard amp, which is very fine..maybe even better in conjuction with my processor..it has 1x15 and a tweeter..but, what scarres me is 75w RMS..
Roland Dac 80d..with 1x12, 80w..

The price suits me for sure..but, as i have already mentioned, i am afraid not to be drawn in sound of the rest of my band (keyboards, bass, drums, vocals..)..
I know that i can mic it..but i would like to know can i be sure that i will be able to at least hear myself onstage live..especially in heavier moments..
And, since i would use it with 7 string, maybe the 1x15 would be a better choice..?
I really dont know what to do..
so, any info highly aprecciated!:)

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
Still don't know what to do..
what do you guys think that it would be better for me..
There are 2 amps at same price..
peavey kb100..a peavey keyboard amp, which is very fine..maybe even better in conjuction with my processor..it has 1x15 and a tweeter..but, what scarres me is 75w RMS..
Roland Dac 80d..with 1x12, 80w..

The price suits me for sure..but, as i have already mentioned, i am afraid not to be drawn in sound of the rest of my band (keyboards, bass, drums, vocals..)..
I know that i can mic it..but i would like to know can i be sure that i will be able to at least hear myself onstage live..especially in heavier moments..
And, since i would use it with 7 string, maybe the 1x15 would be a better choice..?
I really dont know what to do..
so, any info highly aprecciated!:)
I don't think it would be that great in a live stage setting without it being mic'd especially if its a solid state amp. I had a 80 watt SS amp pumping into a 2x12 and just in practice situations I really had to crank it up to hear myself.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And what kind of music are you playing..?
mine is best described, at least soundwise, like Dream Theater..and we have the same instruments..(i mean 1 guitar, keyboards, bass, drums, vocals)..so i need to keep me loud enough..
Would You recomand a Roland dac 80d than, or Peavey kb100?
Consider i am playing a 7 string..so i guess KB100? cause of the 1x15?
thanx..and sorry for being annoying!

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
For a 7 string I wouldn't even think about anything less than a 2x12, a single speaker just doesn't have that "oomph" that you need for that B string.

It was Death Metal and I was the Lead Guitarist so I needed volume over the other guitarist, loud vocals and drums/bass, I'll put it this way, when I had my legacy I ran it on 8.0 to 8.5 at 100 watt setting thru the 2x12, and it was about enough.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok..i was thinking the same way..
I guess it would be better with 1x15..in kb100? what do You think..? i guess its still weak..
Theres also an option for a peavey tnt 150, a 150w 1x15 bass amp..but its more expensive..what do you people think about that..?

·
Registered
926 Posts
With Peavey you really need to try them out, trust me we have peavey guitar amps, keyboard amps, speakers and a PA. You have to try it and pick which sounds best to your ear. By going on what others say i think your gonna end up buying the wrong amp because Peavey dont make the best guitar amps.

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
When my friend and I were shopping around for a amp for his K-7 he settled for a Line6 Flextone II 2x12 combo, it had all the bottom end he needed and sounded great, plus it was hella loud, and he got it for only $250 cause it was beat. We tried out all the other combos, including the much newer and expensive Flextone III's and other 1x12 and 1x15 combos and they were very thin sounding and had no definition.

For a guitar, you need a guitar amp, I would personally stay away from keyboard and PA equipment, everytime I've played on them with a guitar they sounded like crap, no tone and dry as hell.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have played on a tnt at my home for about a year..since my bassist owns it..but i havent used at high volumes..but it is surely loud enough..
and options for shaping tone are good, since it has a eq with 9 sliders..
i can get one like that, but its a bit out of my price range..
and considering peavey kb100..if i try it alone, i still cannot be sure if i will withstand live performance..and i cannot try it with my band, since the seller is from other town..

1 - 20 of 35 Posts