Votes: 24 63.2%
  • EMG 81

Votes: 14 36.8%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess this is just because i'm debating over the two, but it's still a good thread i think to put up.

Which do you prefer as a pickup:
EMG 81
or
DiMarzio EVO?

I would put an 'other' option, but that means a lot of people will vote other which i don't want :p. I want to see which you guys prefer over the two.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
This is all down to personal taste and preferance. But for the type of music I play, its EMG's all the way for me. I do like the Evo pickups too however, especially their nice "shrillness". But I would take the EMG's over it.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
It's just silly asking this here on jemsite :roll: ......
Ask it anywhere else and the 81 will be the clear winner.
It's better, fatter, smoother, heard on countless rock and metal records, works GREAT with Marshall and Mesa, sustains like nothing else and is simply the only choice if you are playing metal.
In fact I can get you more versatile sounds out of an 81 than out of an Evo and that's neck Evo - the bridge Evo is so shril and rubbish that you can't even begin to compare it to an EMG.

ilia

·
Registered
882 Posts
I'd take just about ANY passive pup, over a sterile EMG. I like the tight bottom that EMG pups have, but that's about it. IMO, they have no personality. Any guitar that I've ever played with EMGs in it sounded exactly the same. I suppose that could be a good thing to some...

As far as them being the "only choice for metal", just remember that the tone on the early Metallica records came from a Duncan Invader. ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I said EVOs, I just bought an RG with evos in and they scream yet i have had a Jackson with EMGs and currently have a LTD with ZWs and IMHO i dont think you can really compare the two as they are completely different other than they both scream like ****! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.