Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all.

I hope this note finds you and yours well. I'm looking at a used 1987 RG550 that seems to be in pretty good condition, save a crack in the body between the pickup cavity and lower bridge stud. The crack doesn't quite reach the threaded insert, but it's something that I could see becoming an issue. Then again, the guitar is 34 years old and this could have been there for a decade. What's the consensus on this?

TIA!

·
Registered
216 Posts
I would try to slip a piece of paper in that crack and see how far And how easily it goes Dow into it. Perhaps build it up with various viscosities of CA glue. Don’t know how you could clamp that.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, brother - I didn't purchase it (yet). Seller asking WAY too much for it, though he has been gracious with detailed tear down pics. Just too much of a project for a studio guitar with a nostalgic slant. Needs new studs, knife edge reconditioning, and then who knows what else! But, damn it's got some visual mojo and the color is aged just right - it's toned down quite a bit compared to the way DSY is when it's fresh. Total assault on these old rods and cones lol.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Well, I will be in the market for another RG550 next year. We are nine months into this year, and I don’t know how many guitars I’ve bought this year. I also got rid of four so far this year, two cheap ones at less that 200 bux a piece. I also let go of a Kramer Stagemaster and a Jackson SL2Q. I think I was doing two or three a month there for awhile and since mid June I’ve bought 7 Ibanez guitars, including one I ordered today.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I wouldn't trust a crack there. If it reaches the stud, the repair is crazy expensive. I don't believe there is any manner or method to stop the crack before it gets there.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wouldn't trust a crack there. If it reaches the stud, the repair is crazy expensive. I don't believe there is any manner or method to stop the crack before it gets there.
Those are my feelings, as well. I walked away from it. I've played enough vintage guitars to not be spellbound by mythicism. I really wish Ibanez would reissue the 540R. I love that body, but want the thinner neck. The JS guitars are on my radar, but I already have a perfect strat and am not looking for that feel. I need something shreddy.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I actually have an ultra neck sitting on a shelf from a 540R LTD that I bought last October. I am not really a fan of most of the thinner necks... Though the ultra is definitely one of the better ones. I don't see them reissuing that thing though, it would deter people from the JS line. I wish they would... The tonal options are just way better than a JS guitar.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just compared the neck dimensions to warmoth's standard thin and wizard, which I use and the JS falls right in the middle of them, which is great for me (on paper at least).

·
Registered
618 Posts
I used to own a premium satriani guitar and that neck was definitely chunkier than the warmoth standard thin. I have a JS100 that has a warmoth standard thin c-shaped neck and it is noticeably thinner than that premium was. I think the Indonesian guitars don't quite have the same carve on the back of the neck as they're supposed to. And even the standard thin c-shaped neck was a little bit too thin for me. The other two custom necks that I have are from another company and they're a d shape which I seem to prefer, never even had one before though until I had given this company a try.

·
Registered
9,324 Posts
There's been a not-uncommon problem with Squier Standard Stratocasters, and their two point trems, where a similar crack can occur. A simple fix that many have done is buy a small enough "L" shaped bracket, and install it against the cracked side, and it's accompanying side, to reinforce the section again. then, if you need to sort out the post wobbling, then you can drill and dowel, and re-drill again for the anchor. Pretty cheap way of taking care of it, and not too noticeable without looking super close.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I remember rich talking about fixing a wobbly post insert with CA glue... It was a year or more ago... But he seemed to think the dowel and redrill method was overkill. Fixing something like that may be as simple as filling the crack with a thin CA glue that could seap into the crack 🤔.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Pace yo’sef! Lol this one cat I know couldn’t ever get wife auth for guitar purchases, so he figured out the system. He made sure all his guitar deals were the same color lol.
I am lucky in that respect. Wife lets me buy as much as I can afford. We are both retired and she is just glad that I am drinking that money down at the bar. Honestly she never ever told me no When I purchase guitars for myself or my kids and grandkids.

I just sold a couple of cheap ones today. When I was on my way out the door with the guitars she said “are you sure you want to sell those?” I have a new guitar coming this week. I sold a Squier SE strat and an Epiphone Les Paul Jr today.

My wife even bought me some files and other tools a few months ago. Man was I surprised.

·
Registered
216 Posts
@Luthier Vandros , if you are a little adventurous, you could just shave down the neck. I did this on my 7 string. I like it much better now. Went from a hard d profile to a thin C Profile.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts