Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought an an old RG550,, it plays and sounds amazing, and has the best feeling neck I've ever held. However, it does have a crack in the neck pocket on the top side, facing me while I am holding it. The crack is visibly in the wood, not just the finish, but it doesn't look bad (yet). I've heard these cracks are common on guitars with square heel joints like strats and these old RGs, and I had it set up by a luthier right after I got it and he didn't say anything about it so I don't feel that I should be too concerned, but I do use the trem bar quite a bit for hard dive bombs and I worry it could get worse with time. Is this something I should have fixed? And what's the cost of this sort of repair? I don't want to end up with a neck/body crack like Vai's EVO lol. I've included some pictures, I had horribly hard time getting my iPhone camera to focus for some reason, but they give a good idea of the crack. For what it's worth, the guitar stays in tune perfectly, better than my RG with a hardtail and Locking tuners, so I don't think stability or playability has been affected by the crack.

·
Registered
547 Posts
It doesn't look bad, frankly if it does eventually open up that will make it much easier to repair.
I wouldn't worry about it, it was made to be played, so play it, too many case queens lurking on these fora already.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It doesn't look bad, frankly if it does eventually open up that will make it much easier to repair.
I wouldn't worry about it, it was made to be played, so play it, too many case queens lurking on these fora already.
Fair point. And believe me, its no case queen, its definitely got some nice wear on it and I play it for 2-4 hours a day. And I don't play my guitars gently lol.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.