Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've been aching to get an older Jem for months now.

Locally, I have 2 good options. Both of them are florals, which is what I was after.

Now, I'm buying a Jem with the thought of resale in mind. I decided I wanted to go ahead and start exploring higher end guitars and finding ones I really jive with... I Love my J Custom and my Custom 24... so this has the potential to stay with me forever or eventually get sold. So basically, I'd like to know which is the "better buy."

1988 Jem 77FP:
- all original, very good condition = $2850 (Canadian)

2003 Jem 77FP: all original, great condition (just 3, 1mm nicks on the back edge) = $2000 (Canadian)

I know the differences between them... like I said, is the 1988 much more desirable to the Jem buyer? The 2003 is less expensive and is in arguably better condition.

What do I do???

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hey guys, I've been aching to get an older Jem for months now.

Locally, I have 2 good options. Both of them are florals, which is what I was after.

Now, I'm buying a Jem with the thought of resale in mind. I decided I wanted to go ahead and start exploring higher end guitars and finding ones I really jive with... I Love my J Custom and my Custom 24... so this has the potential to stay with me forever or eventually get sold. So basically, I'd like to know which is the "better buy."

1988 Jem 77FP:
- all original, very good condition = $2850 (Canadian)

2003 Jem 77FP: all original, great condition (just 3, 1mm nicks on the back edge) = $2000 (Canadian)

I know the differences between them... like I said, is the 1988 much more desirable to the Jem buyer? The 2003 is less expensive and is in arguably better condition.

What do I do???
I'm gonna throw in my 2¢ (Disclaimer: My 2¢ is redeemable for 0.01¢).

Does the newer model have EVO pickups, or PAF Pros? If it has the PAF's, is in better condition, and less expensive personally I would go with the 2003. If after playing both all things are equal.

A lot of players always love the idea of older is better. Personally I guess I do have some pride in knowing I have an early JEM. However 90% of the time I'm picking up my '00 7VWH over my '89 77FP. To me it's just a nicer guitar to play (but I will be swapping pickups in the near future).

Jheez you guys have to spend a lot of money for guitars! By that I mean Canadians.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked it out. It has the PAFs. No cracks anywhere and other than those 3 dings on the back edge, it's pretty mint. My gut is telling me to get the 2003.

Like I said, I'm just concerned about resale.

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
When you buy with resale in mind you often make decisions that inhibit use/enjoyment.

Please confirm what trem is on the 2003?

Why would you pay 850 more for an older model in worse condition is the question i'd ask you? And would you want to invest (prepay) 850 for possibly higher value in a few decades? Nothing special about the 88s.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very true. I hope I never sell it. I just meant I don't want to be in a corner because people are only after the oldest models they can find. I think the guitar looks great.

I believe it's an edge pro.

When you put it like that, it seems more clear lol pay $850 more for a guitar in worse shape.

I'll be honest, it's my first Jem and all I hear is how the 80s and 90s Jems have a mojo about them. I don't know what that means but I've heard it quite a bit.

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
The Edge Pro would ding value possibly but not 850. If the 88 were pristine with hang tags it would be worth buying imho.

Blanket declarations of mojo is something i'd take with a grain of salt. The original Ibanez axes of that era were good but certainly not perfect. Just great compared some of the other crummy superstrats at the time.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats what I've read about the edge pro too. I've never played one. I have a RG570 with an edge that I love and a J Custom with an Edge Zero that I love.

Does the edge pro get a lot of hate??

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
the decision to remove the locking studs/anchors certainly was foolish and unwelcome and brought hate but that can easily be remedied. Ultimately the edge pro was a solution in search of a problem but works well. It's just that the routing is different and won't accept the original Edge or EdgePro. Still, I'm not paying a 30% premium for a MIJ axe just for the Edge/LoPro but YMMV. You started the convo on resale but should consider what you're paying for in the first place too right?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Exactly. I'd have to agree that an extra $850 is significant, especially considering a possible sale down the road...

To add more confusion to the mix, another 88 popped up that the seller says is "mint condition" for about the price of the 2003.

Hopefully he responds fast. I need to make a move quick lol

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The new seller with the mint 88 got back to me... I asked for pics and he sent pics of a swirled, not original, guitar.

People...

Back to my original dilemma lol

·
Registered
565 Posts
2003 is the 15th anniversary model. If it has the signed backplate that these came with, I can almost guarantee a higher resale value, particularly in light of it being in better condition. I'd be willing to bet that it is better all around (minus the locking studs).

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It doesn't have a signature on the backplate? It's supposed to?

The serial still suggests it's a 2003 as the seller is saying.

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
No, the 15th sig was a USA (hoshino usa) concoction... from the "notes"

In Summer 2003, Hoshino USA was bringing in the last 108 JEM77FPs then there would be a 100% discontinuation in all markets of the JEM77FP. Each FP 15th imported to the USA is expected to have at least a Steve Vai signed cover/backplate.

·
Vendor
26,552 Posts
The 15th was only a 15th because JD wrote Glen to tell him they were bringing in a batch of FP's [because they had seen my order for 20 of them thru Chesbro [25 total]] and Glen mentioned to JD "you know it is the 15th Anniversary of the FP". And that's how it became the 15th.

None of the ones from Chesbro had the signed con cover. I had to buy 20 covers and got Steve to sign them at an aftershow for all the ones I sold.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, i got you.

Any things I should look out for to make sure it's legit?

He sent me a ton of pics... I see the neck plate that has the serial, made in japan and the word JEM on it...

The guitar is actually about 6 hours away and conveniently enough, my brother in law is there today... so he'd be picking the guitar up for me.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Dave,

I saw the 2003 77FP.. Montreal I think for like $2700? If so, nice job talking him down. It looks nice and vibrant, most of the older ones are faded, especially the pickups. They're also not as nice when/if the clear coat yellows, which seems to be common on the older Ibanez's. If you're picking between those 2, I'd also say the 2003 for $2000 is a better deal.. it's in better condition too. Talking about resale, I think it would be tough to sell the '88 77FP for $2850 if for whatever reason you wanted to resell it.. Seems a little steep.

Like mentioned above, the edge pro doesn't come with locking studs, but an easy fix.. You can get the locking stud mod kit from Rich, I recently got one, it just came in, for my new old J Custom (that you saw) with edge pro. Quick and easy.. screw in a couple allen screws in the holes and replace old studs with new locking studs. There aren't too many complaints about the edge pro aside from the lack of locking studs from factory. Typically, I think most people feel Edge=LoPro > EdgePro > EdgeZero. That's how I personally feel. The Edge/LoPro/EdgePro are Gotoh made, so they're all comparable in quality. The EdgeZero functions great, but is of lesser quality. The EdgePro is so flat and super ergonomic.. Super comfy. I don't like it as much as the Edge/LoPro for functionality, but that's me being picky.

P.S. I messaged that guy with the "mint '88 77FP" for $2000 within like 10 minutes of his ad being up. It's a scam. The only picture in his ad is from pinterest, and he failed to provide any other genuine photos. I received a photo of that green swirl guitar as well (looks like a 570 body). He's also now posting ads across Canada for $2500 lol.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts