Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This isn't a 'for sale' post but a question about an **** ad I saw awhile back. I have a mint, 1988, no fret wear, with two 1/8" chips on the back edge and the reddest, biggest pored rosewood fretboard I have ever seen. Down side is it doesn't have the pink lined Ibanez case but a black lined one and at ultra high gain the pickups are slightly microphonic. Aside from this the guitar is a 9.8 out of 10 condition. I saw one of these go awhile back on **** for around $2200.00 I believe in worse shape than mine but it had the original case and who knows about the pickups. Is the '88 rootbeer worth that much? If so, I might be unloading for some Christmas cash... anyone know the value of this piece?

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
If a rootbeer went for $2200 on e b a y, I'd suspect some sort of scam, there's no way that guitar should normally sell for that. Gotta be careful of what you see on ****, look at the seller and the buyer, if they're both new users chances are it wasn't all on the up and up ;)

·
Vendor
26,699 Posts
The sale was real, 3olives was the seller which is Rudy Frankel from Guitar Relics in upstate NY.

At auction you only need 2 people that want something bad enough to drive the price up. If nobody has noticed early Jem's have been selling high, and higher. Not that $2200 is "market" but I have a clean 87' with handrest on the way and I'm sure not selling it cheap.

The price guide on this site is out of date the second Glen updates it, which hasn't been in 5 years anyway.

·
Super Moderator
9,753 Posts
Even here, with pretty active classifieds, Root Beers are crazy rare. You never see them for sale. To find one now in mint condition, it's not going to be cheap by any means. Here at least, you see a lot more 90th's and Jem 10's than you see Root Beers. I don't think I've seen a single one in a year.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.