Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Folks,

I purchased a very second hand '91 Jem 77FP a little while back and, although I love its mojo, I've always felt an original edge would just make it that bit better for me.

The Jem has a lo-pro in it at the moment although it's very pitted and the metal has even corroded significantly on the first few saddles (low E side). This feels like it was a real player's guitar and it was put away wet more than once! It's not that I dislike lo-pros, I just prefer the look and feel of an original edge.

So, two questions for you Jem FP lovers;

1) In your opinion is it an absolute no-no to swap the 'original' '91 lo-pro out for an original edge? I'm purely doing it for feel & looks. I like to lean on the trem more than using the arm. I'll do it anyway, I would just love to know peoples opinions on keeping the guitar as designed or not...!

2) Can I leave the lo-pro anchor screws in and just swap the trems, or will I need to put in original edge anchors?

Alright! Thanks in advance for your input!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hey, I do believe that the 88-90 version did have the original edge and they should swap out no problem if I am correct.

I have no problem with the swap, you would basically be creating a hybrid. It is your guitar so if you like the edge better than go for it. It's not like the FP never had an edge so no blasphemy from my point of view.

Lets have some pics while your at it and show her off.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right on, thanks fellas! Since these photos were taken I found some proper wide flange strap buttons and swapped the two volume (!) knobs for black vol/tone ones. She's in transit right now, as is the new trem, so new pics once I've done the swap.

http://s153.photobucket.com/user/noiseboyblues/slideshow/Guitars/1991 Jem 77FP close-ups

Darn tootin' I'm playing this one, she's a beaut. I try not to get any sun on the guitar though since it's already pretty faded.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You can send that Lo Pro to me anytime!!!! ;)

You should see how bad the Edge and Lo Pro are on my 2 Jems!

Old Edge still works perfectly though! The Lo Pro has a stripped thread on the base plate where arm holder screws in! :sad:

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
You have the extra routed tiger claws, so why not use the trem that allows you to pull up more which is the edge... its a win win for you :p

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
The pink knobs aren't original. It appears to be missing the original painted knobs, anyway.

My opinion is that with the original trem in that poor of condition, you may actually increase the value of the guitar by putting an original Edge in there, even if it isn't "correct" for that year.

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
Totally acceptable and highly recommended (by me at least.....:))

I prefer the edge over the LP as well. The Edge is right at home on an FP, so no problems.

·
Registered
55 Posts
You can send me the pink knobs if you like, I've just bought a 1980's 77FP and someone has changed the bridge pick up, coloured in the other 2 and changed the volume and tone to black, unless of course, they left the factory like that? I'm a bassist, so what the heck would I know LOL

Mine is also in transit, should have it tuesday?

Anyone know where to get the knobs or a Pink Paf Pro cheap? and that will ship to the U.K.?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts