Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
'91 JEM777VDY with a JEM777VBK Neck Swap?

Hi guys. I'm considering buying this '91 777 which is a DY or VDY (red/pink knobs?) but has had its neck replaced with an unknown year 777VBK neck. Question is, is this cool? Is the guitar still valuable? What kind of value does it carry now? What should I look out for knowing that the neck has been swapped before? The current owner does not know why or when it was swapped. I love 777's and the DY is my favourite 777 although I love 'em all! Pics attached below.

https://i799.photobucket.com/albums/yy272/RolanTHUNDER/FB_IMG_15885797302112417.jpg"[/URL] border="0" alt=" photo FB_IMG_15885797302112417.jpg"/></a>[/IMG]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
I really like it, all it needs is green knobs to balance out the green in the neck and it will be a stunner.

Pretty much all 777's are worth money these days. Just depends on whether you are wanting flip it or justify not spending too much on a keeper.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like it. Like pteropid already said though, get rid of the red knobs with something to help link the green in the fingerboard to the rest of the guitar.
I guess I could find green knobs and a switch hat on ebay. Then again TBH I don't mind it like this. The green Vine goes with the green Ibanez and JEM logo on the headstock. A friend recommended I find a 777VBK body, transplant the neck from the VDY to it and get a VDY or DY neck for the VDY body then end up with two 777's :)

I really like it, all it needs is green knobs to balance out the green in the neck and it will be a stunner.

Pretty much all 777's are worth money these days. Just depends on whether you are wanting flip it or justify not spending too much on a keeper.
OK I'm glad to hear that as that's actually what I thought too. I like it a lot too but trying to negotiate with the seller to get the price to a more affordable range as I would intend to keep her instead of flipping her. How much would you ask for if you were selling this JEM as is?

·
Registered
245 Posts
I guess I could find green knobs and a switch hat on ebay. Then again TBH I don't mind it like this.
That's the only thing that really matters, is if you like it. Like I said, I definitely like the vine inlay neck with it, but also don't thing green knobs would help. Looking at the picture again, I think I'd personally end up going with black knobs, but there are no wrong choices as long as you like it.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's the only thing that really matters, is if you like it. Like I said, I definitely like the vine inlay neck with it, but also don't thing green knobs would help. Looking at the picture again, I think I'd personally end up going with black knobs, but there are no wrong choices as long as you like it.
Good point Hoseki. If the seller can just agree to my price it'd be much more feasible for me especially in this tough time worldwide where it's harder to spend than before.

Ultimately the DY is my favorite, prefer the maple fretboard and what I call "Universe inlays" (pyramids) but I'm super happy with the VDY model too. The one I'm looking at has a unique twist to it with the 777VBK neck swap which is cool.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts