Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
I'd be all over that thing man!! I love the feel of the re-issue BL's. Keep in mind, there no RG's. They have a completely different feel.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The non-RG-ness of it is exactly why I'm so interested in it. I love my 550, but it's almost a novelty thing for me because I play much more vintage-style blues, rock, funk etc. that the Blazer would be much more practical for me than an RG. I'm no shredder or whammy abuser.

Thanks for the feedback... now if the guy will just get back to me. Hope it's not sold!

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
I hope you get it too!! It DOES have the V-series pups, so getting "strat" tones will be difficult without a swap.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, if I get it it may basically take the place of my 550 (which I was going to upgrade the pickups on). If the Blazer could cover what little I need for high gain/metal/shred flavored stuff, I could do without the 550. With a pickup upgrade, the Blazer could possibly be my Rock, Shred/Metal AND my rhythm/Strat type axe.

"The more the merrier" is a nice idea for guitars, but with limited space and limited funds it doesn't make sense for me. I'm trying to pare down and get as few axes as possible to do exactly what I want them to do... here's hoping.

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
I don't think I'd completely rely on the vintage trem in the blazer to cover your shredding, unless you don't use a trem too much. The neck on that thing is REALLY nice........

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"Shred" may have been a generous word for my playing! Yes I don't use the trem much at all besides for a little vibrato. I could do without one.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Some conflicting info out there- I know the 850 has the Gotoh bridge where the 1025 has the Wilkinson. But some sources say they both have Sperzel locking tuners, and some say the 850 doesn't have locking tuners. Any definitive info out there?

-Gaucho

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Better get to that one fast if you want it. I've got a trip to Charlotte coming in two days, and have had my eye on it as well. If it's still there when I am, it's gone :) I've got two of them currently, and they're some of my favorite guitars ever. I'm eyeing another one with thoughts of modding it for a different trem.

As for locking tuners, the 850s do not have them. As for your thoughts on it covering the gamut, I'll tell you that it does, exceptionally well, unless you're looking for dive bombs. I've got the trems on mine locked down so that they're effectively fixed bridge.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Better get to that one fast if you want it. I've got a trip to Charlotte coming in two days, and have had my eye on it as well. If it's still there when I am, it's gone :)

Already spoken for : )

Thanks for the advice on the trem- sounds like it would make for great tone.

-Gaucho

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Picked up the Blazer last night. I won't say it met my wildest dreams but... for $200 I won't complain.

I always forget somehow that a stock Ibanez just won't sound that great- got to upgrade the pickups. The middle in particular- I know they're known to be lousy, but man... ouch.

The neck is truly fat- the unfinished feel is very nice, and AANJ is great as usual. Just gonna have to get some real pickups in it (and perhaps replace the electronics) before I can judge.

Pics forthcoming...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts