Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello people, I know a lot of you guys have been having problems with the trem bushings on your Edge/LoPro/Edge Pro trem bars. I have encountered a similar problem with worn bushings, so I tried to replace them with new ones, but they still do not keep the bar in one place!

Due to my frustration, I thought of radical solutions to the bushings issue. I tried using the plastic bag fix I found here, but it's not very practical, having to cut up some plastic bags every time you need a stable tremolo bar. I tried putting some tape/teflon behind the bushings so that when you put them on, the tape/teflon underneath would push the bushings outward, making the fit a bit tighter, but I quickly found out that the bar has a tendency to "puke" out the tapes whenever you spin the damn thing! Grrr!

I looked at my tape dispenser with frustration, and noticed some black tack forming on its sides due to tack being left there from old tapes scraped off of it, then collecting dust and dirt. Something told me that maybe this is the solution that I have been looking for so I scratched some of the stuff, formed them into small balls the size of ballpoints, stuck them inside some new bushings, pushed the new bushings into the bar, inserted it into my edge pro, spun it around, and started playing. After a while, the bar started to feel very secure, although you can still move it around very easily. What I was happy about was the fact that it finally felt like the trem bar was part of the bridge unit itself, making it easier and more pleasant to use. The black tack seems to be tough enough not to be "puked" out by the bushings, plus it keeps them in one place.

Try it out guys, it might just be the solution you've been looking for :))

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sorry but plumber's tape=teflon tape right? I used to use that too, except when I start spinning the bar around, it slips off of the inside of the bushings. If you were talking about the metal strapping with the holes, I haven't tried that out yet, but I might. Thanks for the suggestion :)

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Clear nail polish. Easy to get everywhere, durable, doesn't leave marks, and one bottle will last a lifetime - if you are man enough to look after your nail polish.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Yes, I have experienced using "plumber's tape" before (please read the whole thing people haha) but it didn't solve my problems because it was constantly "puked" by the bushings near the openings and finds its way out pretty quickly, so I had to find an easier, low-maintenance way to secure the bushings (without using my mother's nail polish, she'd scold me for it :D). I discovered that blackened tack, when used in appropriate quantities, can work really well as extra spacers and keeps the dang bushings in place on the bar.

P.S.: Blackened tack is tack that is stuck on a surface due to tape being previously peeled off too slowly from it. This results to tack being left on the said surface, collecting dust, dirt, etc. After a while, the previously sticky tack will turn into a black substance that does not stick very well, and when played with can be made to look like dried snot :D

P.P.S.: I have tried the small plastic discs too, and it loosened my tremolo arm holder temporarily (I don't like the feeling :() plus I am a bit lazy, so I really prefer not to bring small plastic discs during gigs just for the tremolo, I find it a bit impractical IMO.

Again people, this is simply a suggestion. I am only presenting an addition to the more common alternative ways of securing the tremolo arm, and so far it still keeps me satisfied. I was thinking it might work for you so I shared it here. However, if the methods you mentioned keep you happy, then I'm happy for you guys as well. :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Clear nail polish. Easy to get everywhere, durable, doesn't leave marks, and one bottle will last a lifetime - if you are man enough to look after your nail polish.
I've tried this but it didn't work for me. I applied
a good amount and let it dry over night. It was
good for about a couple spins but after that
the polish would bunch up in the open space
of the bushing. I'm currently using the plumbers
tape.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts