Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm very upset at the moment, I had a bad accident & broke my left hand,
It all happen when a freak wind blew a big heavy steal gate straight on to my left hand & the impact crushed my hand in between the gate & a steal post yesterday, the gate smashed into the back of my hand & broke some bones badly! - Oh did I scream in pain! I almost lost half my left hand form mid palm to my fingertips!

I'm very sad & worried that I mite not be able to play guitar again?
I'm just hoping it heals well, but the doctor say it will take along time, life is bad when you can't play guitar & now I'm thinking it looks like I wont be playing anymore?
I feel so devastated & this could mean I just stop playing guitar & call it a day bro's :?

Oh hell I'm in so much pain!!! :( ..Jake.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Jake..

Please by all means dont take this the wrong way..

I understand your in pain but you and only you will make the decision if you will play again. Lots of people have won tremendous adversity and beat the odds.. Jason Becker comes to mind..

You have to take this negative and turn it into a positive. Dont look so gloomy already it just happened yesterday and your already giving up. Take that negative energy and put it to use in a positive way. Practice your other hands technique while the broken hand heals.

I am going to have major back surgery on the 25th and its scarey but im going to face it full force straight on. This is not going to hold me back, its going to make me better.

Postive young grasshopper, stay focused, fill your mind with positive sentences not negative.

You will play more when its done vs. I am going to sell my stuff etc etc.

Good Luck on a speedy recovery its just a speed bump.. You can overcome it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Just hope you'll recover fast.... a nightmare it is indeed...
If things are getting worst, just take a look at Django Rheinhart or Tommy Iommy biographies, and you will see that when a guitarist wants to play, he can play... Really hope things will be OK for you !

·
Registered
926 Posts
I too had an accident a few years ago. Mine was when a fully extended triple ladder fell on my hand/thumb while i was taking it down. Mine healed within 4-5 weeks but being the thumb, the strongest part of the hand, it was really hard to get it back to strength. Still feels funny now though.

All i can suggest is dont strain it AT ALL while you've got your cast on.
Rest your arm as much as possible, even though you'll lose the strength, it will come back in time, but dont try to rush things.

I was lucky i could still play the guitar to some degree cause i had a soft cast on my hand. I hurried back to work too which i shouldnt have done.

Get well soon mate.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Your still young, and the human body seems to have a way of healing better when your young....believe in your mind you'll be better and it will improve your chances you actually will.
Take some time and rest, you'll be back playing in no time!

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
eddie 42 said:
Just hope you'll recover fast.... a nightmare it is indeed...
If things are getting worst, just take a look at Django Rheinhart or Tommy Iommy biographies, and you will see that when a guitarist wants to play, he can play... Really hope things will be OK for you !
Jake... you too can overcome this situation. You will have to keep a positive attitude! Tony Iommi cut off his finger tips, Django Reinhart burnt his left hand and had what amounted to three fingers if I recall. You've got a big ol family here for any support you may need. Hang in there! When you get those bandages and splints off, grab a tennis ball to start with. Then get a "gripmaster". We'll hope for the best for you.

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Oh no!! Sorry to hear Jakester:(

I know your in shock now, but keep the course good man (bro)

You'll be fine. If you remember, I popped some tendons, had nerve / ligament damage in my right forearm / wrist. (for the most part broken bones are less seriuos and heal much easier / quicker:)) I'm fine now. It took about 6 months but all is cool now. ON top of that, I also had my right hand broken a few years ago when I got jumped! Poor right hand:| Now I'm jammin as good as ever and I'm well.....a little wee bit older than you;)

Look at it this way, now you'll be able to focus and bring your life along in other ways. Jemsite is a great place for support. You guys sure helped me out;)

As other folks said, your YOUNG. Big advantage!! Also as others have said, don't strain or push it too fast. It'll just slow down your progress.

You'll be fine;)

·
Registered
917 Posts
Cant give up guitar entirely. I mastered the art of eating and doing crappy hammerons at the same time. Not much but it gives you a chance to try something new.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
I know of two local guys one has no right hand, he rubber bands his pick to his hook and kicks some ass, the other is a guy who lost the ability to use his left hand pretty much completely. He ended up building this weird cape style device that lets him chord, and hes pretty damned good as well. Theirs always hope if you really want to play.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Sorry to hear that man.

It will get better, just give it time and a little patience. I crushed (i do mean crushed) my left thumb in December and it was agony for several weeks and just felt like it would never heal. After 2 months though it was pretty much healed and now it's as good as new.
And time away from the guitar can be a good thing. I swear the 2 months i couldn't play improved my playing. I also got a load more Kanji learned.

Keep your pecker up and try not to dwell on the negatives of the situation too much.

All the best.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Im really sorry to hear that man. These guys are giving some good advice here, i really hope you can take it to heart. Wishing you all the best. Get well soon!

·
Registered
403 Posts
So sorry to hear that Jake.
I know it's easy to say but take your time and be patience. I'm sure you will play again. It's also a good moment to improve your knowledge on musical theory (in the case you need it).
All the best.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
dont worry mate, I broke my left hand playing rugby last year and yes, it was poxy !!!
I resisted the urge to play and let it heal up properly then when I started playing I took it easy and stopped if it started to hurt !
I ramped my playing back up slowly and TBH im still ramping up.

all the best on you recovery !

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
A BIG Thank's to All you guys!

after reading some of your storys on Injurys to the hand I have hope now, I have never had broken bones before & this Injury was a shock to my system! Sorry to all you good bro's that did post- I couldn't reply any earlyer to your post because the painkillers the doc put me on knocked me out stupidly, Today I stoped taking them & started to feel normal again, I think the pills are morphine based because I'm chuck'n' up at the smell of food, I'm trying to drink a health drink mix with a banana & it's hard to keep it down- YUK! man!:?

You guys here are the best & your advice has hit me in a good way, I havn't picked up a guitar yet but I will try & flip it over & play with my good hand today, I have a left handed strat there so I'll get my dad to get it out & set it up for me so I can play, I feel like I've been hit by a train & my broken hand is thumping badly! :?

When I get a chance I will get some paint's & swirl my plaster cast with a brush & put Jemsite on it with all your name's to remind me I'm not alone with this, you bro's have shared my pain & I can't thank you dude's enough for your help with this bad time I'm going thru , I know now it will be a long road to recovery but I wont let it beat me- No Way! ;)

A MILLION thanx to All you Jemsite bro's Who cared to post!

I will get there!.. Jake :)

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
a swirled plaster cast !!!!
COOL !!!!

do a DNA plastercast man !!!

BTW - I have also broken many fingers playing rugby and they all heal with time/patience and drugs :p
in fact its nice to get that "rediscovery" of the guitar and it tends to lead to better discoveries and new stuff !!! - COOL !
chin up old son !!!

Jaden

·
4,107 Posts
PLASTERCASTER, YEAH!!! Make it a PMC, plaster multi-color. Seriously, hang in there bro, everything happens for a reason. If I was you, I would dive back into theory and learn to write music in standard notation, then start writing songs to play when you get better!! Think how far you could come with a pause like this in playing. Some of us might even play some of the stuff you write (if we can) and post it here for you, what do you say to that bro?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts