Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
VLX91? Not here :D (If theres some bizarre demand for VLX91, I can do that, I just dont feel like it). Please note, this is OBVIOUSLY not discussing guitars with 3 way switches like the JS1000. This covers EVERY stock H/H and H/S/H Ibanez that doesnt use a VLX91 or 3 way. I.e. 97% of ibanez guitars. I didnt feel like doing H/S/S as most neck "singles" are still humbuckers anyway.

Anywho, I frequently see "I dont have a diagram for my RG58346!!" Well, that doesnt really matter. To start, I'll go over some basic things really fast. I dont feel like explaining DC theory to the masses, so Im gonna have to toss out a "trust me" here for the explanations.

To start -> humbucker wiring and what it means

Next -> Potentiometers

Next up -> the common switches you'll find on ibanez guitars

Finally -> the "diagrams"

It DOES NOT MATTER WHAT GUITAR YOU HAVE. If you have an RG270, an RG520, an indonesian RG470, a chinese gio, a korean RG350, IT DOES NOT MATTER. Again, IT DOES NOT MATTER! (Unless you have a vlx91 or some kind of aftermarket switch, then well, youre on your own there).
Im not covering capacitor values as theres just way too much "tone voodoo" involved with that, and I frankly couldnt care less.

If you have questions, comments, "but what about my ....", or something appears incorrect or needs better explanation, please let me know.

·
Vendor
26,325 Posts
Note. the 2502 SC5 is really only used for HH setups in an Ibanez.

The VLX53 has the same layout as the YM50 and GAE5, which is now replaced by the new dual bank switch. The GAE5 is dead, you can only get a YM50 or VLX53 anymore to use that wiring. That doesn't mean there aren't plenty of other switches that can be wired or have that same internal switching, I just know Ibanez and what's in them.

The VLX91 is the biggest PITA to wire of any switch you'll ever work on, why they decided to use that in so many guitars is beyond my pay grade.

You're missing the switch case ground lead also.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The VLX53 has the same layout as the YM50 and GAE5, which is now replaced by the new dual bank switch. The GAE5 is dead, you can only get a YM50 or VLX53 anymore to use that wiring. That doesn't mean there aren't plenty of other switches that can be wired or have that same internal switching, I just know Ibanez and what's in them.
Honestly I was just gonna do the cortek switch, as that seems to be the most common one used/needed, but ibanez in their infinite wisdom put that stupid @#% switch as its replacement part. VLX53 is pretty well documented, I just wanted to show the correlation between them; i.e. you dont really "need" a "wiring diagram" if you know what youre looking at. Theres no way I can cover everything, really.

The VLX91 is the biggest PITA to wire of any switch you'll ever work on, why they decided to use that in so many guitars is beyond my pay grade.
Preach brother!

You're missing the switch case ground lead also.
If people cant figure THAT part out, maybe its time to get a luthier/tech to do that kinda work haha

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ill sort it tomorrow then; I just remember the 53 being basically "backwards" to the cortek ones. I have negative experience with the sp5 honestly. In short my general rule to people when they are swapping in a new pickup is simply trace the old wiring out and just snip the wires and splice the new one in.

·
Vendor
26,325 Posts
Never snip, always unsolder, it's already pre-tinned and much easier. I suck at wiring, I'm one of those guys that has to have a wiring diagram, and I have an electronics degree. Just like calculus I forgot it as soon as I closed the book. It just gives me a headache 8O

I'd have to pull an old FP or something just to verify, I'm sure I have a few back there with 53's in them.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dont mean snip at the switch; I mean just cut the wire at a convenient place and splice the wires together. Dont even have to take the switches out if thats your bag. I have no problem with "proper" wiring, but others arent dextrous or dont trust themselves enough to do it like that. Its 100% fine to do it this way.

But yeah, I lost my "parts" collection in my house fire, wouldnt mind a pic or two to make some better references.

·
Vendor
26,325 Posts
I would think if they could splice they could just solder to the tab instead. No worry about sheathing it after.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would think if they could splice they could just solder to the tab instead. No worry about sheathing it after.
You mean 2 seconds of putting electrical tape on? haha

Do bear in mind, this type of thing isnt for you or me Rich, this is for the person that has never soldered before but wants to put his new pickup in; its for the person with shaky hands that wont have an easy time sticking a 24 gauge wire into a 1mm hole thats 3mm from the next hole, etc. Theres "doing it right" and then "doing it properly". Splicing in wires is good enough for Nasa, its good enough for putting a pickup in. Ill even cover that part too, I have a few "tricks" that should probably be shared anyway.

Edit: I do want it understood that I will always attempt to teach the "proper way", I always have time for that. Some people dont want to, dont care to, arent capable of, etc.

·
Vendor
26,325 Posts
You mean 2 seconds of putting electrical tape on? haha

Do bear in mind, this type of thing isnt for you or me Rich, this is for the person that has never soldered before but wants to put his new pickup in; its for the person with shaky hands that wont have an easy time sticking a 24 gauge wire into a 1mm hole thats 3mm from the next hole, etc. Theres "doing it right" and then "doing it properly". Splicing in wires is good enough for Nasa, its good enough for putting a pickup in. Ill even cover that part too, I have a few "tricks" that should probably be shared anyway.

Edit: I do want it understood that I will always attempt to teach the "proper way", I always have time for that. Some people dont want to, dont care to, arent capable of, etc.
Good points, except if your hands shake that bad having a soldering iron anywhere in the house is a disaster waiting to happen ;)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Thanks for the information, excellent work. Allow for some corrections or proposals:

This is not DC theory just to be precise, it is all AC theory, as a guitar signal is alternate current.

You left this out, but as magnets are involved for inducing voltage and as it very often made wrong when combining coils, your sentence in Ex. 4 could be "You only get noise cancelling (i.e. "humbucking") effect, if both coils are wound the opposite direction AND have the opposite magnetic polarity."

You are right that the capacitor is not necessary, but you could mention that it is the ominously "treble bleed", that useful but simple high pass filter Ibanez is repeatedly marketing as the greatest invention since man harnessed electricity.

Finally the VLX91. I prefer this switch and not because you can use it for almost any wiring you can think of (I almost never use anything else than the standard RG/Jem wiring). I just like the feeling when switching and to me it seems to be of better build quality. It has more lugs and therefore maybe harder to work on, but once you understand the layout, it is even easier to remember than the other ones. When in Position 1, the 1's are connected to the P's and this on all four rows.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
You're absolutely right. I was debating on explaining the whole series vs parallel thing and the nearest analogy I could think of was a series vs parallel dc circuit with say lightbulbs or something. I omitted the whole magnet thing, because when you buy from a vendor, or get it from ibanez, youre *probably* not going to have to worry about flux directions. Also, I didnt want to get into the capacitors AT ALL because it starts fights lmao; Im not even joking haha. "my .47 picofarad capacitor makes me sound like Eric Johnson" ... "well Eric Clapton uses a .63!" its dumb. (I made those numbers up, I dunno what theyd even use).

I kinda pulled this out of my butt last night for a friend of mine, and that dude was asking about his rg470 wiring diagram, so I figured Id post it. My buddy can just hit me up if something doesnt make sense; but I guess its not so simple on the forum. I think a better way to go about this will be to take some time, get some input and feedback and make a more complete and proper "wiring resource".

Finally the VLX91 is probably the best switch ever made for a guitar; at least for build quality. Im not touching it; not because *I* dont know any better, but holy crap when people mess with those things, they lose their minds and nothing goes right. Im specifically avoiding it because I dont want to deal with "but my neck humbucker sounds weird" crap. Its a can of worms thats best left in the cabinet. If you've ever gone on SSO's discord, you'd know what I mean lol.

Good points, except if your hands shake that bad having a soldering iron anywhere in the house is a disaster waiting to happen ;)
I mean, my wife shakes like she has parkinsons; but she "Deals" with things by making them easier and using things like 3rd hands and clamps a lot. I've taught her how to solder simple things for projects she does; things like antique lamps and crap like that. Id never trust her to get a thin gauge wire into some of those holes.

For what its worth, I have a the whole kit n kaboodle; I'll use a solder sucker to pull all the solder out for a clean joint, then strip back probably a good half inch and wrap the wire through the holes and twist the ends then solder them. I've had WAYYYYYYYYYYY too many solder joints fail in my life; best to do it properly the first time. But the extra benefit for simply soldering to the already attached wire is if you're looking to swap things in and out for testing its REAL fast. Testing pickups and stuff is kind of a pain otherwise.

·
Vendor
26,325 Posts
I figured this was as good a place to post this as anywhere.

The SC5 switch Ibanez has always used for HH setups is now discontinued and being replaced with a new switch. Here is the conversion for each.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts