Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,342 Posts
What has always impressed me about your work is how clean the builds are. Ive seen alot of custom builders, and none of them seem to have the attention to detail your work has. They all have that same Swan feel to them, and yet seemed to be geared towards pure tone and playability. So many custom guitars are just fancy inlays and wood and your guitars look like they play themselves.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
407 Posts
The guitar has alot of the tonal character of a nylon acoustic.I'm sure that will interest some people.Especially guys playing old school jazz and gypsy jazz that don't want to spend huge dollars on a real classical acoustic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
491 Posts
Looks and sounds lovely Jim, as always. Have you ever done any soundclips with a bit of gain? - it'd be interesting to hear this one in a gainy-blues setting (I know that doesn't nessecarily fit with the guitars image, but it'd be interesting).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wemedge said:
It's beautiful and sounds beautiful too on the clips.

I wonder how it would sound with flatwounds.

Any Soloway owners out there have tried flatwounds on their guitar?

wemedge
I play with Thomastik Infeld flatwounds on all of my own guitars. The only reason this one has round wounds is because we have it set up for the Philadelphia Guitar Show next week and one we did for a customer with TI Bensons. The only exception is the low A on both which is a round wound GHS 60.

Here's a clip with my own 7-string with TI Swing Series flats.

http://www.jimsoloway.com/TascamDemos/CominsMahoganyLN7.mp3

And here's the one we did for a customer.

http://www.jimsoloway.com/TascamDemos/E078-1.mp3

As for gain, I do have some clips but not of this one. I sound truly goofy trying to play with gain and no one else has played it yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
212 Posts
Thanks for the clips, Jim.

I just picked up a Thomastik-Infeld jazz set myself. will try them out.

Do you use a round wound on the low A for gauge size or sound reasons?

Your tone and playing, as usual, is inspiring....

wemedge
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wemedge said:
Thanks for the clips, Jim.

I just picked up a Thomastik-Infeld jazz set myself. will try them out.

Do you use a round wound on the low A for gauge size or sound reasons?

Your tone and playing, as usual, is inspiring....

wemedge
Thanks for the kind words.

I use a round wound for the for a few reasons. I find that a flat wound tuned that low tends to sound really tubby. I went through a tremendous number of strings trying to find the best string for an A and one of the guys here turned me on to the GHS compounds. Theit perfect for going that low. They intonate well and they have a much cleaner attack than anything else I've tried. They also come in virtually ever size up to an 80. With the 27 inch scale length, I find that a 60 works perfectly. It also gives me a nice consistent volume going from my low E to the added A.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
250 Posts
sniperfrommars1 said:
What has always impressed me about your work is how clean the builds are. Ive seen alot of custom builders, and none of them seem to have the attention to detail your work has. They all have that same Swan feel to them, and yet seemed to be geared towards pure tone and playability. So many custom guitars are just fancy inlays and wood and your guitars look like they play themselves.
Jim doesn't create guitars, he creates art that you can play as a side-bonus. ;)
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
9,753 Posts
Jim Soloway said:
The only reason this one has round wounds is because we have it set up for the Philadelphia Guitar Show next week
(not to hijack the thread but....)
I didn't know there was a guitar show in Philly next week! Tell me where and when and I'll stop by and say hi. Gotta love a guitar show!

Rich, are you going to this?

jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
jim777 said:
(not to hijack the thread but....)
I didn't know there was a guitar show in Philly next week! Tell me where and when and I'll stop by and say hi. Gotta love a guitar show!

Rich, are you going to this?

jim
No hijack at all. That show is what we built this guitar for. I'll have my personal 7-string there as well in addition to a bunch of 6-strings. Here's a link to the show info.

http://www.bee3vintage.com/Phily-NorthCarolina.htm

We're also doing a private preview/Swan Fest in Smithtown, Long Island on Thursday night. In addition to our guitars, there's going to be about a dozen high end boutique amps there. If anyone in the area wants to attend, just let me know and I'll make the arrangements. Otherwise I'll hopefully see some of you in Philly on the weekend.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top