Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey jemsite, I've been going on for a little while about my obsession with custom necks... And my obsession with the 540R body style. I mentioned in passing the project I have been working on and it's finally a reality. All it needs for me to be finished is time to paint! But for now it's staying it's factory color.

I bought a '91 540RLTD back in October. And I had ordered a neck from bestguitarparts.com , the guitar has everything I would want in a modern Ibanez. The custom neck has roasted maple shaft wood with no tilt back headstock (one continuous piece of wood with no scarf joint), a wood screw mounted nut, rosewood fingerboard, stainless frets, graphite reinforced truss rod, a lo-pro edge, a tremol-no for when I want to play in drop tunings, HSH configuration with Guthrie Govan's signature charvel circuit. The original IBZ USA C3 single coil in the middle, a dimarzio mo' joe in the bridge and a PAF Joe in the neck. Push push tone pot to split the neck and bridge pickup. With custom splits utilizing the fender super switch. The circuit utilizes caps and resistors to boost the output of the humbuckers while split so you have no decibel drop off. And of course a treble bleed circuit.

This neck is by far the most comfortable neck I've ever played on. It has an 825 D shaped carve and a 12inch radius. The lo-pro saddles have been shimmed to match. The roasted maple is silky and the frets (finished by a friend of mine who's been doing it for over 35 years) are polished to a chrome like finish. It's something I would love Ibanez to make, but I know they wouldn't, at least not anytime soon. All in all I have about $1450 wrapped up in the guitar. It's about as much as an indo ibanez, but plays like a custom shop guitar. I also found out that this is an H&S 540r LTD. When I removed the neck there it was stamped in the neck pocket! I won't be selling the ultra neck I pulled off so I can always bring it back to being a true vintage Ibanez. I have the original humbuckers and selector as well.

·
Registered
949 Posts
That turned out great! The headstock totally works on the 540R body style.

I've also done some unusual mods to several Radius series guitars (including an oddball headstock on one), and while there's something to be said for leaving older models as-is, if the guitar is something you plan on keeping, then all mods are fair game.

I like it!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That turned out great! The headstock totally works on the 540R body style.

I've also done some unusual mods to several Radius series guitars (including an oddball headstock on one), and while there's something to be said for leaving older models as-is, if the guitar is something you plan on keeping, then all mods are fair game.

I like it!
I definitely plan on keeping it. But with how hard it is to find an ultra neck, I'm not sure how I feel about selling it. Maybe one day, or maybe I'll get another body to throw it on lol.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.