Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Oh my be-jesus, looks like I better start saving now. I absolutely love the EBJP models, and think they are great - so a neck-thru fixed bridge model should be absolutely sweet. The tone and sustain should be veeerry sweet indeed! Cant wait to see and hear more.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Oh my, that's lovely. If you look closely, there's binding around the maple. This should look amazing once it's finished.

Only 22 frets though. :?

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
I like the idea of the 22 frets actually, its slightly different than usual. But if you look and read the posts, it says it isnt due to be released "officially" yet anyway. The ones in the picture are for JP himself to try and use, the rumour is that a 2006 Winter Namm release may be the time apparently. But whatever happens I want one!

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Fixed bridge is cool, so are 22 frets. I could have done without the neck-through construction myself. Well, it's not like I could afford it anyway....

·
Registered
154 Posts
Cool... but seeing how mucho they're charging for the current JP model, I reckon this one's gonna have a sky-scraper price too.

Maybe OLP will have a cheapo model?? :lol:

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
It's definitely not one piece neck and body, it's a neck through. Plus I don't think there's any binding around the maple. The EB guys on that forum never addressed that. It's a thin maple veneer, not what I'd call a maple top at all. The "binding" everyone thinks they see is probably another piece of regular maple veneer underneath, and it shows through when the maple is cut at an angle. It's a common practice. Ibanez does it on the Sabers with flame/quilt. My guess is that they might sunburst it and hide the maple lines so it looks more like a thick maple top to the naked eye. Which would be ridiculous. It would be a better guitar with a 1/2" maple top to restore some snap lost from the 24 3/4" scale. I'm not a JP enthusiast, but the other EB/MM JP models are cool guitars. This one, to me, is a dud. If they don't sunburst it, the maple "glorified pickguard" looks awkward to me. As a $399 OLP it would be cool. Especially since it's just a veneer anyway. If they don't sunburst it, the maple "glorified pickguard" looks awkward to me. Why accentuate that awkward looking (although functional) elbow cut any more than you have to?

·
Registered
623 Posts
At the bottom of the first page, the Musicman guy claims that there is binding around the maple. But yeah, it does look like another layer of veneer that is showing through.

The contour of the elbow cut is unusual, but I think it works. It's reflects the bevelling on the horns, so there is something of a visual theme going on. But again, I do agree that it'd look better with a thicker top.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I mean it could be cream plastic underneath the maple, but I'm sure it's not an inlayed binding channel, like purfling. Its already there when they're CNC routing the body contours. It's got to be an underlayment. I mean I could be wrong, they're just internet pics, but that's what it looks like to me.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I kind of prefer 22 frets. I never (or RARELY) actually ever play the 24th fret, so I won't exactly miss it. ;)

You can get a loaded JP7 from any of the online dealers for around $1600, that's not bad IMO for the quality you get.

Can't wait to see this new one finished. :D

1 - 20 of 39 Posts