Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want my tremolo arm not to fall down when i stop holding it in my hand..Steve vai uses edge-pro too and his tremolo arm doesn't fall down,it can stay parallel to the strings without holding...How can i make my tremolo arm like that?

**i have 2 white teflon washers on my tremolo arm...

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
My trem arm doesn't as you say 'fall down' on my Strat's trem. This is because it's a screw-in trem arm and I can tighten it. The Edge Pro's arm is a pop-in style, so I have no experience with them. Vai doesn't use Edge Pros, but Lo Pros. ;)

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
You are mistaken about Vai using Edge Pros. Yes, they put the Edge Pro on the production JEMs and on the guitars that he holds for photoshoots, but live he still uses his older JEMs with Lo Pro Edges on them. Either way, I'm sure there's a way to make it so that your arm stays in one spot. I remember reading something about using fingernail polish on the trem bar to thicken it somewhat so that it would stay still after use...

·
Registered
116 Posts
could i ask a question on edge pro too? since someone create a thread before me? if i cut off the ball end and put it in an edge pro, will it still have the same stablity? since edge pro doesnt require string to be cut off . . . actually i prefer the ball end over the headstock, im pretty lazy u know ;d

·
Registered
203 Posts
Maybe it could be the arm-holder spring at the bottom of the arm-socket?
Magnus Olssen, who posts here as Ibanez-Mag, has a fantastic site which details tremelo maintenance:

http://www.magnusolsson.com/index2.htm

You'll find details in the Guitar Setup section of the menu on the left side of the page. I've found this to be the only site detailing such maintenance that's on a par with Rich's maintenance section.
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
7 Posts
hi, i´m new here, english is not my mother language, so excuse me if i´ll do some kind of "language-mistake" :) , and i also have a question on this topic:

i always take out the arm when i´m not playing, ´cause i left it for 2 days in the case, and i noticed that the bridge was a little "pushed-down", because the arm touch the case... (i hope it didn´t made anything bad to the springs, i think not).

anyway, because the arm is always getting in and out in the bridge, the washers may suffer a little, so it´s not too stiff as it was a month ago (the guitar is new). i also noticed that there is a ind of a "gap", it´s a question of not even a milimeter, but the arm is not 1000000% stick to the bridge (i hope you get my idea, it´s like you "feel" the arm with a very very little space inside the hole, that lets it 0,000001 milimeter gap) . is it normal due to the use?

thank you!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i solve the problem...I never thought that the washers can lose condition in 25-30 days,i changed the washers and now the tremolo arm has very good condition...
How long do the washers keep in condition for somebody playing 3 hours a day(using the floydrose a lot)?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.