Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there everyone

About 2 months ago i started playing guitar with a drummer and bass, player and it's been going pretty well. We didn't have a singer so i decided to take the plunge and although i found it hard at first i think im beginning to grasp singing whilst playing. So with this in mind i borrowed a PA system of a friend, had a few ales and went for it. It went pretty well, and it was great to play with a complete band, vocals included. However when i returned the PA the dude i borrowed it from said i blew one of his speakers, which i'm sure i didn't. Anyway he managed to fix it, but now he wont let me borrow it again. So now i'm thinking about buyin a PA system, so could anyone give me some advice as to what i need? I only want to spend 500 pounds maximum, as i havent much money as i need a new marshall too. I dont know if this is not enough for a decent system?Also if anyone knows of a good setup could they let me know? Thanks.

Oh, and who are porcupine tree?I've seen them mentioned on here a few times but never heard any of their stuff!

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I think a Carvin wouldn't be the deal in the UK that it is in the US.

Look for used gear. At, what, $800? You won't get muchof a system. An amplified head and 2 speakers, or speakers and a seperate mixer & amp. Listen closely for distortion, because with smaller systems you are at risk for frying tweeters - especially lower capability piezo ones often found in cheaper speakers.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Browse the used market (****, classifieds, mags, etc..).

We have a 1000watt system for our band, and I wouldnt like to have anything any less powerful, so I'd aim for that kind of power level. Laney have some nice 2 in 1 power amp / mixer systems.

Two speakers should be enough. I'd check some Wharfdales, they're good value for money over here.

All you need basically is some kind of mixer, a power amp and two speakers. A decent compressor (behringer are cheap) will enable you to get the most of your system by compressing evil volume spikes, so you can turn up louder without clipping or destroying stuff.

PS: Porcupine Tree are an alternative band headed by Steve Wilson, producer for Opeth and an incredible guy. Give them a listen, they're well worth it :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.