Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a rare Ibanez, a a SCR220BP, at my local Guitar Center. It looks like this:

The only real information I can find is from Rich's library of Ibanez catalogs. Specs include:
25.1" scale length
Mahogany Body
1 Piece Maple Neck w/Rosewood fretboard
TZ30 bridge
V1 and V2 humbuckers
10 degree increase in tilt of headstock which creates higher string tension
Built in the Fujigen factory in 1999, the only year is was produced.

I know that just because its rare doesn't mean its valuable but I was wondering if any of you know what this guitar might be worth? They are asking $199. As an instrument its worth much more than that, but I have a feeling its so rare that nobody really cares.

Any info on the guitar and advice on whether it would be worth buying would be much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
I love my S-classics, and consider myself fairly knowledgable about Ibanez in general, but I honestly had no idea they ever made one with a tremolo. Cool and interesting. As for the value, the 220's typically list for $199 to $250 or so, so you're right in the ballpark. Quality guitars for the money too, so if you're intrigued and it's in good shape, I'd say jump.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I played the guitar I did notice the extra tension the 10 degree tilt puts on the strings. I didn't get to try the bridge out because the whammy bar wasn't in the guitar but it can probably be pulled up a half step and under light use wouldn't throw the guitar out of tune. Truthfully, if Ibanez manufactured this model for 5 years I wouldn't be interested in buying it. It's a cool guitar but there are a lot of cool guitars out there. My main interest is in the guitar's rarity and place of production (Japan).

So a larger question would be, does the simple fact an Ibanez guitar was built in Japan automatically increase its value? Is it wrong to assume all Japanese made Ibanez guitars were high quality?

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
So a larger question would be, does the simple fact an Ibanez guitar was built in Japan automatically increase its value? Is it wrong to assume all Japanese made Ibanez guitars were high quality?
I am inclined to think that it is fairly safe to assume that all MIJ Ibanez guitars from that era are quality instruments. Are those the original pickups? If it plays well and sounds nice then I think I would grab it for $199. The rarity only adds to the fun of the purchase...do it man =)

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am inclined to think that it is fairly safe to assume that all MIJ Ibanez guitars from that era are quality instruments. Are those the original pickups? If it plays well and sounds nice then I think I would grab it for $199. The rarity only adds to the fun of the purchase...do it man =)
I obviously didn't think this through: I came to the Jemsiters for knowledge about a rare guitar, not peer pressure. But I should have realized nobody is going to say "No, you shouldn't buy the Mint condition, rare Japanese made Ibanez." :grin:

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Ibanez needs to make a thinner version of that headstock for a lot of their guitars. They'd be less LONG and more balanced IMHO.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I remember those, they're were an attempt to mix Radius and Saber forms. Reckon they could've gone somewhere with the concept - HH, non-locking whammy, shorter scale.

For $200 it's a no brainer, especially given that it's MIJ. There's plenty of MIJ axes out there that fly under the radar and end up going for peanuts, so it doesn't increase the value per se but the guitar is going to be very well built.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I remember those, they're were an attempt to mix Radius and Saber forms. Reckon they could've gone somewhere with the concept - HH, non-locking whammy, shorter scale.

For $200 it's a no brainer, especially given that it's MIJ. There's plenty of MIJ axes out there that fly under the radar and end up going for peanuts, so it doesn't increase the value per se but the guitar is going to be very well built.
I'm probably going to check it out again today. For me, its not a no brainer. The only 6 string guitar I own is my teaching guitar (so I don't confuse the students). Otherwise I only play 7 string guitar, both electric and classical, plus one 8 string. However, I love Ibanez history and finding a rare Ibanez is always exciting. If I bought it, I would probably sell it and I don't want to buy $200 guitar so that I can sell a $200 guitar. The quality is definitely there. I was demoing an RGD2127x at the same time and while they are totally different instruments, the build quality may have been in the SCR's favor partly because it felt less played (cleaner) and its simpler design. We will see....

·
Registered
549 Posts
^^ I see what you mean. Though the SCR is uncommon, it's not sought after, as far as I know; I can't remember what they were new, but more than $200 I imagine :). Maybe if it's very clean, you could get in the $300 range for it, or a bit more.

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
The SCR220 listed for $650 and probably sold in the $400-450 range (comparable to the RG350). The thing is, it's much more guitar than the price suggests. You already know the stats..........

For $200 (I'd offer $150 and see what happens) I would buy it, drop in a Wilkinson VG300 bridge (the 220's ONLY downfall) and keep it as an incredible daily driver that cost very little for the quality guitar that it is.......

just my 2 cents............

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I caved and bought! Sorry for the bad pic, nighttime and poor lighting don't lend themselves to accurate pictures:

Its the most "non-Ibanez" Ibanez I've ever played. Thanks to Rich Harris' catalog library I was able to find out at least a little bit of information:

The cool things about this guitar are the general "quirks" in its design such as a 25.1" scale length, unique body shape, only SCR model ever produced. But the REALLY cool things are the tonal clarity, freakishly incredible sustain, and comfortable neck.

Now, do you guys have any idea what case would be appropriate for this guitar? I'm assuming a standard S Series case but I don't really know. Any suggestion would be invaluable! Also, this might be impossible, but I would love to find out how many SCR's were actually built. Is it as simple sending Ibanez an email?

Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
549 Posts
You did the right thing ;).

Yeah, I think that an S case would suit it fine.

Not sure about production numbers. For old 80s ones they exist, and people here have emailed Jim Donahue on occasion, who worked at Ibanez back then and was able to supply the figures. But about newer stuff, no idea.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
they are nice, just didn't sell well. I remember them coming out around the same time as the SZ series. The SZ series was super underrated, and the SZR guitars are awesome but again didn't sell very well.

I didn't know they made a trem version either. I have only ever seen the fixed bridge version.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
they are nice, just didn't sell well. I remember them coming out around the same time as the SZ series. The SZ series was super underrated, and the SZR guitars are awesome but again didn't sell very well.

I didn't know they made a trem version either. I have only ever seen the fixed bridge version.
It's a very "non-Ibanez" Ibanez, so I can imagine someone who wants an Edge tremolo, Wizard neck, Jumbo frets, etc wouldn't have been interested. However, its a super resonant guitar! I'm beginning to appreciate how a 1 piece maple neck will affect a guitar vs. a 5 or 7 piece laminated neck.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You did the right thing ;).

Yeah, I think that an S case would suit it fine.

Not sure about production numbers. For old 80s ones they exist, and people here have emailed Jim Donahue on occasion, who worked at Ibanez back then and was able to supply the figures. But about newer stuff, no idea.
I forgot what was said in this thread and what was still unknown. The number of SCR220's that came to the U.S. was about 900, 500 Black Pearl and 400 Navy Blue.

No cases fit this guitar fine until I took a risk and bought an SZ case. It fits in an SZ case, which are now discontinued, so I was lucky there.

Yes, SC and SZ guitars are similar enough that an SC will fit in a SZ case. Instead of reading your post and figuring that out, I spent a lot of money I didn't need to spend on cases that didn't work and eventually figured out everything you wrote in your post on my own. In academia, this would be considered research and we would win awards. :grin:

This is probably the best picture I was ever able to take of the guitar. This is what it looks like in real life. That particular room on that particular day (overcast) was a great day to take guitar pics. Unfortunately, this is the only guitar I had with me at the time and that room is no longer available to me. (Master bedroom of a really nice house turned into a teaching studio. Long story short, its not a teaching studio anymore.) :(

·
Registered
16 Posts
Great looking guitar! Good find, and congrats on the purchase.

There is one similar to this in a local music shop where I'm at... it has deep gouges, words scrawled into the finish... some kid decided to 'decorate' it. They want $200 for it, so based on that, I'd say you got an excellent deal - a steal, in fact.

I should go rescue that poor guitar from the music store.... just not at that price, in that condition...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts