Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings to all, me is a new member :)

Alright, I am just about to order myself a new Jem7VWH like most of you already did. Something I noticed fairly easily by looking at the threads. Sound wise, the Jem7VWH connects to me in every way along with her features, she is just so versatile and it is what I am looking for. Although, a guitar is a relfection of it's owner, just like clothes are for everybody. It is one of the most important parts with a guitarist's image if not the most important and it is highly important to be comfortable with the looks of our guitar (and with the sound and tone too, of course). The Jem7V is a very beautiful guitar, there is no doubts at all and she fits perfectly with the style and personality of Steve Vai. For me, it is the pearloid pickguard which doesn't connect to me strongly. I would prefer to replace it with a normal white one and make her whole body just white. I have seen threads about changing pickguards and Jem guitars and that link for pickguard paradise on top of the page so I always thought it was something that could be done with no problem. I still asked the person from the shop who is ordering her about this and he replied to me that after asking it the people he is ordering from (somewhere in Japan (since you have to get them from there.. double parenthesis! I'm so cool *cough*)) Well anyway it turned out that they have told him that you cannot change the pickguards on the Jem7VWH and it leads me to this question: Is it really impossible to change the pickguard on her? Or is it because it is a difficult task that they said this?
I would like more information on this, I always thought it was a fairly easy thing to do, almost like if you could do it at home.

Anyway yeah, sorry for the long post and thanks in advance! Oh and just like that if somebody has a pict of a a JEM7VWH with a white pickguard like I'm talking about, I would always appreciate to see it. Also, I noticed most of you order your Jem's from Rich or other sites, I insist in ordering mine at a nearby guitar shop, I know the guys there alot and they make me very good prices.
I also insist in calling her ''her''. Don't ask. But I don't think I'm alone. :p

Sayonara
-PhiL

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
Welcome to the site/forum. The pickguard is pretty easily changed. You'll probably want to remove the trem (see Tech setup area)... then guard screws, the PUs from the guard then reinstall. 10-15-minute job if you're handy with a screwdriver... glen

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
What Glen said...

I'm wondering if they told you that the pickguard can't be changed simply because it voids the warranty if you do. I don't know that it does, but it might be the reason they said "can't". (Rich? Matt?) If that's the case, you may want to keep the original pickguard handy to pop back on if you need warranty work.

ZaPeRoN said:
I also insist in calling her ''her''. Don't ask. But I don't think I'm alone. :p
That's OK. Some guys call their guitars "her". Still others call their cars by the female pronoun. And more call their wives and GFs the same. Each to his own. Sorry, I couldn't resist ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Alright, well this is what I thought, I'll make a research later on to get more information on how to change it. Or if somebody gives me a direct link or more information I won't complain lol.
Oh and yes I was planning to keep the original pickguard, I'll wait to actually have the guitar in my hands before I decide to change it or not.
And I use the female pronoun simply because I find it's funner this way :)
..Impossible to change a pickguard.. blah!

EDIT: Hey I had two more questions. First, I was wondering you guy's personal opinion about this, but I'm expecting you guys to say pearloid better. And second, changing pickguards around has no damaging effects for the guitar itself right? I don't think it would screw up anything but it's always good to ask I guess.
Oh damn, concerning my other thread, I was sure that was a black Jem on Steve's homepage, but I do notice the reflection of his hand on the guitar, well I got fooled...

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I call my guitars female names because I figure if I'm gonna be holding and fingering something for hours, it might as well be a female. ;) They all have female names, it's easier than referring to them as Jem7VWH and Jem77BRMR , etc etc.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
I refer to mine by their colour, expcept my 77fp. That is just the jem

I got this from my local guitar tech. He was building my custom strat (which is flourescent pink), and constantly refered to it in any conversation as the pink guitar. My nickname in the shop is "Nick the Pink".

It is the only way the wife can relate to my guitars anyway. Although she has learnt who endorses which guitars. I flash up pictures of famous guitar players from magazines and demand the correct name.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
ZaPeRoN said:
Hey I had two more questions. First, I was wondering you guy's personal opinion about this, but I'm expecting you guys to say pearloid better. And second, changing pickguards around has no damaging effects for the guitar itself right? I don't think it would screw up anything but it's always good to ask I guess.
I think most of us would prefer the pearloid, but I'd like to see pics of the solid white guard on the VWH. As far as screwing anything up, as long as you're careful and don't strip the screw holes or anything, you should be fine. Guys change their pickguards all the time.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I've got a mirrored guard on mine... I changed it out while the strings were still on the guitar. A bit of a pain getting the pickups in it that way, but I was still able to do it : )

And no, I didn't scratch the guitar or damage it in any way by leaving the strings on. I just had to be a little more careful.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ah, but I was planning on keeping the original pearloid pickguard if ever I felt the need to change it back.

The mirrored pickguard actually looks very sweet, I see you changed the volume/tone knobs also, it looks good ;)

Ok well I'm convinced that changing pickguards is not such of a big deal. I'll show you guys picts whenever I have mine with its white pickguard. We are talking about 3 to 6 months before I get it when I'll order it though :p.. bah.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts