Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I have purchased a new Ibanez RGD70ALNB with an Edge Zero II-7 double locking tremolo bridge.

I want to use a very heavy gauge set of strings. Perhaps something like 13-56 (-56) as a 7-string set up.

I need to know if a very heavy gauge needs a modification for the tremolo bridge springs. I want my tuning at D or D#.

Thank you

Attachments

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, EGEN springs won't hold 13's, no springs Ibanez has will.
I’m unsure of why you think we’re using EGEN springs instead of the pictured EDGE springs.

I might need to refine my tuning to something lower than A or G (7th string).

On another note, I’ve got a EGEN8 with a extra LoTRS spring holding .13-.59 strings).

· Vendor
26,974 Posts

Those are EGEN18 springs, only model they were ever used on. No springs will hold 13's at pitch on any ZR or EZ system.

If you're holding 13's at pitch on a TRS then you either have more that 3 springs or have high tension springs.

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, I’ve had to cancel the new 8-string packets I ordered because I made some heavy gauge sets and zero point was not achievable.

I’m still waiting on the heavy duty springs as I’m going to hold them up in comparison to the current springs in my new guitar. Apparently heavy duty springs are simply shorter springs (maybe 1/8” shorter).

I’ve decided to buy Elixir 11-59 (7-string) set. Will they simply need to be down tuned (eg D#)?

Attachments

· Registered
1,716 Posts
Yeah, I m just going through guitars from my childhood/teenage years. Trying to get the ones I wanted, but couldn’t afford, at the time. And a few more modern ones. I really got most of them already.

Aria Pro II, Ibanez, Westone/Electra, Hondo and just about any MIJ guitars Made up until 1985 or 1986.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts