Ibanez JEM Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
About The RG-GEAR

The top is cut... what.. 4 or 5 mm?

Cheer up David... You've got more than enough to make up for some silly guitar. I know this is probably a real backwards way of thinking on a guitar forum... but there's much more to life than pieces of colored wood. I think once people get mad/upset about not getting a guitar... they are missing out on a lot of other great things in life. (no, I did not become an optimist)

·
Registered
4 Posts
About The RG-GEAR

My friend in Malaysia bought a RG-GEAR for about $9500 ringgit a few years ago. It does not come with the J-custom case. I think the exchange rate for ringgit a few years ago was much higher than it is now. Did my friend get screwed by the shop?

I'll be visiting him in X'mas to get a glimpse of the imfamous guitar in person. Maybe he will gimme the guitar as a present :)

·
Registered
286 Posts
About The RG-GEAR

I think we need to differentiate between the sustain of an unplugged guitar and the sustain of one that is plugged in. I agree that Ibanez guitars have less sustain unplugged, but I bet you dollars to doughnuts that if you tried to post up my 7V against a Les Paul plugged into my amp the 7V would have WAY more sustain when distorted.

·
Registered
60 Posts
About The RG-GEAR

This is a truly interesting conversation. I agree that a Paul will sustain quite nicely, but I have a Hamer Californian that holds a note forever compared to the couple of Pauls I used to own. It's wierd, I think. It does make sense that a stop-tail would be more condusive to the sustain, but the Schaller/Floyd on my Hamer does every bit as well. The Hamer is a heavy guitar, though. It's just 2 pieces of bookmatched heavy flame maple. No mahogony or anything, just maple with an ebony fretboard. Suppose that makes a difference? Anyone ever tried putting a brass nut on a Les Paul? I'm guessing that a person could get some really ringy open chords with one.

Great site, all, and cool subject matter!!

·
Registered
971 Posts
About The RG-GEAR

One big problem with double-locking trems is the way many people set them up. They have them setup so the can pull up (which is fine) but sometimes sacraficing the angle at which the string crosses the bridge saddle. It needs to be a nice sharp angle with plenty of preassure on the saddle or your sustain will suffer.

·
Registered
739 Posts
About The RG-GEAR

In my experience, a good set up and the judicious use of gain will supply me with all the sustain I need - maybe there won't be as much as a 18lb. neckthrough all mahogany & brass hardware behemoth from the '70s, but more than enough for my needs. I have an Ibanez Artist and an Alvarez Summit Custom, both with the shorter LP scale and stop tail, and both have great sustain. I hardly ever play them :) As a rule, I'd rather have a trem at my disposal than have endless... and if I can cover Santana with my trem equipped guitars, they must have enough :cool:

Anyone out there have a pic of an RG Egypt? I'd love to see one!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I had to do it!!! :mrgreen: Maybe not the first, but very early thread! I had a RG550, blue, blue mirror pickguard, maple neck, loved it. I put a white VWH pickguard on it, looked better! Favorite guitar until I got a JEM7VSBL!!!!!!

I'm going retro!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts