Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there!
On saturday I'm going to pick up an Ibanez PGM301 I'm getting my brother for christmas, they're ordering it in from another store. I'm just about to ring them to tell them that I want the guitar set up (for free I hope) by them before I buy it so I can see how it plays properly. Now, on the phone how shall I tell them to set the guitar up? I mean I know I want the action as low as pos, this is gonna be my shred guitar. I've never had an ibanez before, but I hear an action of 1.5mm from the 12th fret is possible on an RG style guitar (same as PGM) without buzzing, should I ask them to set it up to 1.5 mm action? I just want to check that is the figure, 1.5mm before I ask. I'm not going to buy if they can't get it to play with a 1.5mm action (if that's the typical action), I want to make sure it's perfect seeing as I'm buying brand new!

Any help would be really appriciated!

·
Registered
399 Posts
good luck man.. for some reason I've been having a hell of a time getting the action low with no buzz on my 301. Then again I am comparing it to my 550 so take that for what it's worth ; v )

You sir, are a fine brother!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Quick comment about the action, my local music store (called Hermes music) does do a free setup when you buy a guitar, I dont think Guitar Center does that tho (altho im not totally sure).

For low action, I have just recently found the perfect setup for low action. Bascially it buzzes when acoustic but does not buzz through the ampliefer. I have my 2 guitar setup this way and I just love it, for leads it just does not get any better.

Gluck with the purchase =)

·
Registered
144 Posts
The nut on my PGM was too high to get a crazy low action so I had to cut it. In fact it was difficult to fret a F chord (or a Bb) in the first position.

After that I just threw some 9s on it, adjsuted the action and saddles and the the mother is like a race car.

Mind you a crazy low action requires a light touch...

·
Registered
296 Posts
You can ask the tech to set it up..."A.L.A.P.W.O.B." a.k.a. "As Low As Possible, WithOut Buzzing". You'll most likely end up tweaking it to suit your/your brother's playing once you get it home though. Most guitarists are notorious like that. Just as long as they get you "in the ballpark", with a comfortable set up you'll be fine.

Congrats to both you and your brother. Enjoy the new axe.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies guys, yup I can't wait to give it to him! Well, I'll let you know how it goes when I pick it up on the weekend, just out of interest, how do those with the PGM301 like it? It just looks like a cool guitar, I'm sure he's gonna love it, he has an Ibanez321 (I think that's it, fixed bridge korean anyway) at the moment. Do you think there will be a big difference between thse guitars in playabliity and sound?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.