Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

CAUTION: I am new to this forum, so I have no idea if this has been asked/answered already. So please don't be a jerk.

I just joined and currently own an Ibanez Jem77P, which is the newer Blue Floral Jem from the Premium series. I love this guitar and how versatile it is, but I would like to make it more versatile. Based on the wiring of the Jem, do you guys think it is possible to replace the volume or tone pot with a push/pull pot so that when I'm on JUST THE NECK or JUST THE BRIDGE pickup, I can split it so I can have just the single coil tone? I have no idea if this is possible with how the guitar is currently setup, and I figured this would be the best place to start.

Thanks for reading,

Zarkaun96

·
Registered
831 Posts
I'm a bit green, BUT, you have to have the pickups WIRED that way, in order to add the push/pull. It's not impossible, but you simply cannot add the knob. Best to have someone with wiring experience to create this for you. I'm uncertain if you can taking regular humbuckers and 'split' them, or have to buy hums that are made to do that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm a bit green, BUT, you have to have the pickups WIRED that way, in order to add the push/pull. It's not impossible, but you simply cannot add the knob. Best to have someone with wiring experience to create this for you. I'm uncertain if you can taking regular humbuckers and 'split' them, or have to buy hums that are made to do that.
So the humbuckers already split. It has a 5 way selector switch, and in positions 2 and 4, the respective humbucker is split and used with the middle pickup. I want a push pull, and obvsiously additional wiring done, so that when I'm in position 1 and 5 (Neck or bridge humbucker), I can split them by themselves for more tonal options.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Yes this is completely doable. I did this with a guitar I modded. It also splits in positions 2 and 4 like a jem. But when I pull the tone pot it spits the humbuckers simultaneously. My wiring diagram uses a fender super switch though so it will be of little help unless you understand why it works. Here's the diagram anyway. In the diagram it uses a toggle switch instead of a push pull pot. The terminals are the same though. You essentially need to extend the black and white wires from each humbucker (If you still have dimarzio's in the jem) to the push pull pot so that when the pot is pulled out they are grounded. I also attached a diagram of the satriani diagram showing how it would be done with a push pull pot. I think the satriani diagram would be of more help.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes this is completely doable. I did this with a guitar I modded. It also splits in positions 2 and 4 like a jem. But when I pull the tone pot it spits the humbuckers simultaneously. My wiring diagram uses a fender super switch though so it will be of little help unless you understand why it works. Here's the diagram anyway. In the diagram it uses a toggle switch instead of a push pull pot. The terminals are the same though. You essentially need to extend the black and white wires from each humbucker (If you still have dimarzio's in the jem) to the push pull pot so that when the pot is pulled out they are grounded. I also attached a diagram of the satriani diagram showing how it would be done with a push pull pot. I think the satriani diagram would be of more help.
Thanks for the response. Question: Are you saying it can only work with the Fender super switch?

·
Registered
498 Posts
No it should work with your original switch. If you add a jumper wire coming from the black and white wire at your selector switch, and then have that jumper go to the push pull pot (just like the satriani diagram). Use the push pull pot to ground out the black and white wires of each humbucker... That will split them. You'll need a jumper for each set of black and white wires. Disregard the other diagram... If you're not familiar with wiring it will only confuse you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts