Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!!

Ive been having this problem for a while now, but never really noticed that much. But now its very noticeable. Mostly on my Contour Channel of my amp(Mesa F-100). When i plug just one DD-7 into my effects loop, i get more noise. It even makes my DS-1 hum louder almost like a Haaaaaa sound. Its not audible when i play, but when i stop its kind of annoying.

What could be the problem? Could it be the pedal? any of the tubes? Cables? Or maybe the power source?? I use a 1 spot with an 8 plug splitter, not all plugs are used. Only 3.

What could it be?

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Im guessing by the number of views and no replies that either no one cares or has no idea how to help me?? Is this a problem that cant be fixed? Or maybe im just seeing this as something that everyone gets and just has to deal with?

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
I have yet to find a quiet delay pedal. Love the effect - hate the extra noise. I've tried both signal chains - pedalboard into the input and in back through the effects loop - still get the noise.

I recently played through an Eventide 2000 and it was silent, but they cost alot.
Even their new pedals are about $400. and I haven't been able to justify the cost yet so I'll deal with the noise awhile longer.

Let me know if you find a good one!!

~j

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Get a Vodoo pedal power or a dc brick and run the delay at the very end of the loop. It definitely sounds like a power supply issue but I also wouldn't discount the cables. Check the cables and try swapping one at a time with the dd-7 to see if that solves the problem.

Jimmy:smile:

·
Registered
126 Posts
A few basic troubleshooting questions:

Have you tried the pedal with a battery?
Have you unplugged everything else but the pedal and the amp?
Do you still have noise when you turn down the volume knob on the guitar?
Are all pedals in the loop or do you have pedals in front of the amp and in the loop powered from the same power supply?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A few basic troubleshooting questions:

1)Have you tried the pedal with a battery?
2)Have you unplugged everything else but the pedal and the amp?
3)Do you still have noise when you turn down the volume knob on the guitar?
4)Are all pedals in the loop or do you have pedals in front of the amp and in the loop powered from the same power supply?
1)I have used the pedal with a battery with the pedal, but its been so long ago that i dont know. It drained batteries like crazy. I dont have any batteries at the moment, ill get back to you on that.

2)No basically the other way around. I have only tried with all the pedals that are going direct to be on, but with the delay removed from the loop.

3)Yes, the noise isnt the guitar. if thats what you are trying to say.

4)Yes, all pedals are using the same power supply. Im guessing that is a definite no-no? And no, just the delay is in the loop. The pedals i have running in front are a Bad Horsie 2 and Boss DS-1.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Get a Vodoo pedal power or a dc brick and run the delay at the very end of the loop. It definitely sounds like a power supply issue but I also wouldn't discount the cables. Check the cables and try swapping one at a time with the dd-7 to see if that solves the problem.

Jimmy:smile:
The delay is the only thing in the loop. The other pedals are going through the front of the amp.

·
Registered
126 Posts
4)Yes, all pedals are using the same power supply. Im guessing that is a definite no-no? And no, just the delay is in the loop. The pedals i have running in front are a Bad Horsie 2 and Boss DS-1.
That is the problem, I'm 99% sure of it. This is a very common problem when using pedals in front of the amp and in the loop and want to not depend on batteries.
You need to either get another power supply for the delay pedal or a power supply with isolated outputs (such as Voodoo Lab Pedal Power). Before doing anything else you should try your setup using a battery in the delay pedal just to make 100% sure that the problem is indeed a ground loop caused by the power supply.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Does using a power supply like Pedal Power have any added advantages over individual adapters.

I tried out the 1Spot chained adapter, and started getting noise pretty quick. So I've gone back to using the individual 9v adapters.

Pedal Power 2 is almost $200 bucks, and at this point I've already got 6 individual Adapters. What would the advantages be, aside from less wires, easier cable management?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That is the problem, I'm 99% sure of it. This is a very common problem when using pedals in front of the amp and in the loop and want to not depend on batteries.
You need to either get another power supply for the delay pedal or a power supply with isolated outputs (such as Voodoo Lab Pedal Power). Before doing anything else you should try your setup using a battery in the delay pedal just to make 100% sure that the problem is indeed a ground loop caused by the power supply.
Yes, that is whats going on basically. i tried only powering the delay with the 1spot and just using batteries for the pedals that are going direct into my amp and the sound is no longer there. How much is the Voodoo Pedal Power thing you are talking about?

·
Registered
126 Posts
There's your 100% proof it is indeed a ground loop.
It's $200-ish I think. It has isolated outputs preventing ground loops, that's one of the best reasons for getting one IMO. That and never having to buy another battery.
There is another (cheaper) way of solving your problem=get another power supply just like the one you already have. Use one for pedals in front of the amp and the other one for pedals in the loop.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Instead of buying a the voodoo power block thing. Why not just buy another 1spot and use it solely for either direct pedals or effects loop pedals, that way you have 8 plugs to power effects in front of the amp and another adapter (with another 8 plugs) powering the effects loop pedals. Its only another 35 bucks and saves me over 100 dollars. Ill be able to power up to 16 pedals. Seems like an more cost effective solution to me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.