Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my dilemma...

I just bought a Randall RM100C combo (accepts 3 of the MTS modules, 100 watts, two Celestion G12T75's). While I love the amp (particularly with the XTC module), I really miss the fact that it doesn't have spring reverb. Now, I know I could use a digital reverb in the FX loop (e.g., like the one on my G-Major), but that seems like overkill since I don't really care about any other FX, and for some reason I just prefer that genuine analog reverb sound.

So I'm thinking I've got 3 options:

1) Get a rack-mounted spring reverb unit (Peavey Valverb, DOD R848, some Tube Works model, etc), mount it in the bottom of the combo, and run it through the parallel FX loop. Seems like the easiest but most expensive option.

2) Get a pedal spring rever (like the Little Lanelei: http://www.songworks.com/pages/3/page3.html?refresh=1116540432084) and either run it in front of the amp or through the FX loop. Seems like a decent middle ground.

3) Build my own spring reverb unit, using a kit (here's the Hot Springs Reverb from PAIA: http://www.paia.com/hotsprgs.htm). Cost effective, but seems like a lot of work.

So, has anybody gone any of these routes to add real spring reverb to an amp? At this point, based on some reviews I've read, I'm really giving some serious consideration to the Little Lanelei pedal, unless I can get a good deal on a rack unit or get good enough with the soldering iron to build my own.

Thanks!
--B

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input... I'd managed to completely overlook the Holy Grail.

Last night, tho, I managed to pull what felt like a pretty good deal on a DOD R848 spring reverb unit. It's a rack-mounted unit with two 3-spring tanks and a decent number of knobs & buttons for tweaking. It looks pretty old, and information on it is hard to come by, but I imagine it will do the trick for what I'm looking to do.

--B

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, my old-as-dirt DOD R-848 Reverb arrived today. I really don't know how old this is, but it's all analog, so that's got to say something. Inside it's got two 3-spring reverb tanks. On the back there are 1/4" jacks for in, out, and footswtich bypass. The front is the most fun, as it has controls for input level, output level, wet/dry mix, pre-delay time, reverb time, four different tonal presets, and 2 band parametric EQ with adjustable frequencies and boost/cut levels.

Right now I've got it rigged up in the (tube buffered) parallel effects loop (mix 25%) of my RM100C combo. The DOD is set to 100% wet, maximum output, flat EQ, and the shortest possible pre-delay and reverb times.

This thing is really sweet!! Every amp I've ever owned has had a single "reverb" knob, and that's it for tweakability. With 9 knobs and 4 buttons, this thing has got to set a record... I can get everything from a classic "boingy" bright reverb sound to long dark decays. And best of all, it cost me less than the "build your own reverb kit" I was looking at.

--B

1 - 7 of 7 Posts