Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm looking to get a new guitar to suit my needs 'cause my mex strat doesn't have the low growl of a humbucker in her. This is my second electric, so I'm not looking at a flashy JEM or UV (yet), just a good sounding, good playing axe.

Currently I'm looking at an Ibanez 2550 and 2570. According to to Dimarzio the neck IBZ is similar to a Super 2 whilst the bridge is close to a Super Distortion. I'm a big fan of KISS so these particular Ibanezes caught my eye.

I'm also looking at an Ibanez 1527. I feel that I want to use the seven strings to it's full extent, not just the usual chugga, chugga.

Apparently an Ibanez is what I'm looking for but I've seen a Brian Moore I9F model (korean) and I'm quite intrigued by it. How about an ESP? Does anyone have any comments on those?

I DON'T particularly like heavy metal (not that I have anything against it) so a HSH is my pickup configuration for what I play (Vai, Satriani and Petrucci type sounds).

I welcome ANY comments good or bad (please don't betoo harsh, I'm just a beginner).

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
I think the Super 2 is a bit louder and meaner than an IBZ, but they are okay pickups. It will sound different in a RG too than a Les Paul, however the Super Distortions are much more transparent on a bolt on basswood or alder body so you can't go wrong.

A RG 1570, or the three Flobanez suggested sound worth checking out.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have an ESP Horizon and Lynch Skulls and Snakes and love them both. I would definitely recommend the Horizon to anyone. Beautiful guitar with a lot of features that are only on higher priced guitars.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
At first I was interested in the RG 550, but there was a very hard time looking for one that ships to my country (I live in Malaysia). Even if I did find one, the shipping costs would make the guitar well out of my budget. Can anyone recommend something similar (besides the now discontinued RG 1550).

P.S: I meant to start this in the Other Ibanez Guitars page but got a little confused.
I hope you all will accept my apology.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did anyone see the RG Prototypes on Jemsite? They look kinda cool, especially the swirled Special 1. The other one kinda looks like a JEM10th doesn't it? Maybe I'm wrong.
Anyway, Jemsite states that the list for the RG Special 1 is $1730. Not THAT bad, considering a limited production swirled model. I may get that one instead. What do all of you think? You all have been such great help so far and would like to hear more about what you have to say.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
The RG Special swirl thing is DEFINATELY NOT worth the money.

It'd only be worth spending that much if you really wanted the swirl. Seriously, ALL it is is an RG1550 with a crappy swirl (black and white? eurgh no thanks).

An RG2550 would be a superb guitar for you if you don't really want to get a Jem. This is seriously the best guitar for you in your price range you've described.

In my opinion though, if you're serious about guitar and you love it, and if you can afford it, get a Jem!! Or whichever other high end Ibanez guitar you like. It will inspire you to play and you'll only benefit from it. Plus if you change your mind; a Jem or high end Ibanez (RGT/J custom) will have a high re-sale value so you can change it as much as you feel until you settle on a model that's perfect for you.

I'm only 17 and i have a Jem7vwh. There are guitarists i know who are tonnes better than me and have RG550s, it doesn't matter how long you've been playing or how good you are you can get any guitar you want. :)

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the heads up Andelusion. I noticed that both guitars are equipped with Ibanez pickups. Maybe not the best choice. I've been looking at the RG
2550 for over a year now but recently I'm interested in an RG 2570 (textured finish looks cool). Electronically, aren't these two models just about the same? How about me getting a used JEM? Or even a used Universe (I have my eye on the UV777BK)? As always, comments are welcome.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts