Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone suggest me an affordable tube amp that has an SRV like chime on a clean channel ,yet Kerry King power on a Gain channel ? I had a fender blues junior (amazing for clean tones) but the overdrive on it was too weak for metal. I'm in a bit of a dilemma because I enjoy mostly metal , but have a soft spot for clapton/srv/blues ..
I'm playing a Marshall mg50fx solid state now ,but it's not cutting it for me. Looking for a tube amp that isn't like ...2500 dollars US ..more like 600.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
9,696 Posts
I almost bought a Legacy head yesterday off the 'Bay, but didn't in the end because I can barely play these days due to arthritis. But two heads went yesterday for less than 500 bucks, which is pretty good. Great cleans, and it takes a pedal well so you should be able to get the gain level you require.

·
Registered
103 Posts
despite the mix of positive and negative comments surrounding it, I just purchased a Spider Valve 212 and I am loving it.
I dont gig and just play at home and in the studio. Having been quite familiar with the different Pods but always missing that real tube feel and sound, the spider valve just seemed like a no brainer.

I tried everything I could to the JSX, to vox combos, to the(yuk) peavey vypers and some decent valveking combos, and marshall and in like all shapes and sizes to boot.. and for the price, I could not find anything else that gave me as much of a tonal array and the warmth and dynamics of tube all in one package ESPECIALLY for the price. I got mine on sunday from sam ash for 899 with 20% off bringing to 720, then returned a recently purchased pocket pod for another 130 off.
SO I paid 590 out of pocket for what I feel is an awesome amp for the money!
But as always tone is subjective and opinions will differ.
My advice.. do what I did, and go try EVERYTHING you possibly can. If you find something you love that is out of your price range, search for it used.
personally I love buying gear new. a luxury I am not afforded often however.
good luck

·
Registered
473 Posts
Crate Stealth, Crate Blue Voo Doo, Peavey Ultra, Peavey Triumph PAG, Peavey XXX, Ampeg VL series, Carvin MTS, possibly a JCM 900 2100/2500 SL-X. All used, of course. All can be had for under $600, except maybe the Marshall, which would be pushing the top end of your budget.

·
Super Moderator
9,696 Posts
I would avoid the Carvin MTS, and look at the Legacy, V3 or the X100b from Carvin first. The MTS is adequate at best, and impossible to fix if it breaks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts